Replacement Tires

Guest Reatta89

I had a 90 reatta and in May of '97 I replaced the tires on mine. They were P215/65R15 Firestone Affinity Touring tires. The ride never changed. Hope this helps.

If you like the Goodyears, get a similar tire from them. Personally I am using Goodrich Comp T/A's but they are a little noisy on rough surfaced roads. There are quite a few makers of this size tire, just be sure to get at least an "H" speed rated tire, like the original equipment. The speed rated tires have a stiffer sidewall which will keep your handling like the original. If you have a favorite brand, give'em a try.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

I strongly agree with Hal on the tire rating. <BR>It's less important that you stick with the original Goodyear tires (unless you are only going to show the car) than choosing the proper speed rating. While "H" rated tires are good for speeds that you will seldom see, the construction is superior to lesser rated tires. You can go to "V" and "Z" also.<BR>I also like to put more rubber on the road by changing to 225x60-15, this has little affect on your speedometer and there are no clearance problems, these are easier (more selection) to find in "H" rated.<P>One small personal note... I have sworn off Firestone tires. Bad experience,poor adjustment. <P>------------------<BR>Barney Eaton Reatta division technical advisor and keeper of the Reatta database.

I just put Uniroyal Tigar Paw tires on my Reatta Convertible. They have a H rating on them. The ride is smooth and quite. The look like original Eagle GTs too! They are a mid-line priced tire ($75 each). Personaly, I would suggest not getting new Goodyear Eagle GTs - I have found them to be very poor tires. I've had 3 cars with them, and they have all had to be replaced by 45,000 miles (and I even rotate/balance). I've also have had good luck with Dunlops.

The one thing I failed to mention in my previous post is this; don't skimp on tires. As the Michelin commercial says "the only safety feature that actually touches the road". The best braking and handling systems in the world won't compensate for poor and/or worn tires.<P>------------------<BR>Hal, btk@vbe.com

I have yokohama A509's on mine ride changed though, ( I can take 90 degree turns at about 45mph with very little snowplowing wow!!!)<P><BR>Mawolfe<P>------------------<BR>Everything in Excess! Live life to the fullest moderation is for monks!<BR> ~Lazarus Long (by Robert Heidlen)

I too would avoid the Eagle tires. When they go bad, they are the noisiest things on the road. Horrible tire, in my humble opinion. I had a good experience with Turanza tire by Goodrich, I think. My usual is buy Michelins through Sears. Great tires at okay prices.<BR>

I have replaced my original GT+4s with Dunlop D60 A2s, in factory size. They are H rated, have wonderful wet weather manners and actually improved the ride quality. They are quieter and better riding than the Goodyears. They are also fairly reasonable in price around $75 I think I paid last fall at NTB. I've autocrossed with them and they hold up well to severe abuse, handle pretty damn well too.

• 5 months later...

I agree with Swimmingbear_99's choice. I replaced my original equipment GT+4's with the Tiger Paw GTH4's (selection criteria: all season performance tire with emphasis on ride quality) and the ride has vastly improved. The firm sidewalls settled the questions I had on whether there were suspension limitations on the handling of the car. The personality and drivability of the car now lives up to its looks.<P>Now if only I could knock a couple seconds off that 0-60...

<P> Asking people for a tire recommendation is like asking what color Reatta is "best".<P> The Goodyear GT+4 tire is still available from the Tire Rack, at a good price.

First of all, its blue. Was there really any question on this?<P>Sure all our decisions will be somewhat subjective. There may be brand loyalty, ride quality, or even appearance preferences for each individual.<P>I do know that I did not like the GT+4's (sidewall flex lent itself to very poor handling; noisy, too) and I have had issues with Eagle GA's (cupping at 30,000 miles is a very common problem that I was unlucky to share in) and Eagle GTII's (no sidewall support & terrible winter traction) within the last 5 years. With the exception of the ATX's on my Expedition, I guess I'm pretty burned out on Goodyear.<P>I did my research on the Uniroyals and they stand up pretty well to scrutiny. <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com" TARGET=_blank>www.tirerack.com</A> is a very good website for reading customer feedback on how how the tires they have selected have held up and perform under various weather conditions. I think this would be a good starting point to find a tire that matches your driving style.<P>I appreciate the input people post here on such issues. As a reward I am going to share with you my new found secret to cut 0-60 times almost in half!<P>Overlooked in the land of many buttons is one that says Metric. Push that one, mash the gas pedal, and bingo! 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. I did notice, however, it took me nearly twice as long to get to work... wink.gif<p>[This message has been edited by miata'nreatta (edited 09-12-2000).]

Guest llaramie

Recently purchased a set of Michelin Pilot XGT V4. The performance is very impressive in wet and dry weather. They are rated good for snow, as well. <P>ps: If you buy XGT--make sure they are PILOTS, Michelin also makes an XGT without the PILOT designation which are not an all-season tire like the Pilot XGT V4 and much poorer performance stats. (see tirerack.com)<p>[This message has been edited by llaramie (edited 09-12-2000).]