Trans fluid/shock oil questions

old-blue

i just started and drove my 49 roadmaster for the first time(it has been sitting almost 30 years). what type trans fluid do you use in a dyna flow? also i believe i have air and or a leak in my left rear shock i want to fill it bleed the air and check for leaks what type of oil? will hydrolic oil work if not where can i get correct oil? <BR>thanks for the help<BR>old-blue

GM claims that their current DexronIII automatic transmission fluid is backward compatible back to that time frame. You might still find some Type A transmission fluid if you look around in the "lower brands" of transmission fluid at the auto supply.<P>You might check the service literature for that vehicle regarding the shock oil. Also be advised that similar fluid is still available at the motorcycle shops as "fork oil" (on the cycles, their shock absorbers are inside the forks of their suspension setup, similar in concept to the more modern struts on cars). There are various viscosities of fork oil just as there is motor oil. A technician once used that fork oil, in a lighter grade, to substitute for Pugeot shock oil one time with good results (cheaper and didn't have to wait for it to be ordered from France). Seems like it was not the lightest viscosity, but probably about two notches above that.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467