Driven Class

Guest 53Nailhead

Guest 53Nailhead

Hey Guys, this may seem anal butt wink.gif,in the feb. issue of the bugle there was a article on the driven awards. Can the radio by upgraded or added to. Mine has a gizmo to receive FM stations that dosen't work worth a d#@*! I guess I'll just remove it. What else not mentioned in the article could get you disqualified or be frowned upon? Who's been in the driven class before any ideas & who's going in it? Les

Guest 53Nailhead

Thanks Joe, this one doesn't work so I'll most likely just remove it. What about those lights for the purple anti glare or 'Whor# lites ' as my father calls them, the previous owners says they were always there (not factory, but install in the mid 50's).

Les

Guest 53Nailhead

These lites are in the upper corners of the front windsheild by the pivot arms of the sun visors. Any ideas? Maybe they were a north of the 49th idea!

I can tell you what they dont like... they dont like a 47 with A/C, alternator and a cooling fan, even though in Texas I couldn't drive the car without at least the cooling fan. They told me I was in the modified class. So this winter after I blew the engine coming home from Dallas, it was real tempting to drop a SBC motor in it. But I didn't..

They probably wont wont notice the lights or other modifications as long as its not too modified. Yours sounds pretty safe as long as it has the original drivetrain in it.

Guest 53Nailhead

Thanks Bill & Joe, Jeez I also have a electric cooling fan for parades to keep it cool. Maybe I'll have to remove it as well for the trip. Should they not relax the standards to allow items that keep these cars running & safe but do not infringe on the overall authenticity & nostalgia of the cars. I realize the will be some over the top things that could/should put cars into the modified.

Guest sintid58

I would think with a little ingenuity you could make it so you could remove the electric fan for competition. It shouldn't be to hard to hide the wires and dont they attach to the radiator with a kind of tie strap. As far as a radio I took a small tool box and mounted 4 speakers a radio and even a CB braket on it then ran the antenna lead and cigar lighter plug in through the back of the tool box. My 58 had a radio antenna but also the radio delete plate so when i get in the car to use it I just put it on the hump of the car hook it to the seat with a rubber bunge cord plug it in and go. When I get to where I am going i can pick it up and take it out or put it in any car. Instant am/fm cassete deck.