Removing Rear Coil Springs

JohnO

I've done alot of jobs, but removing coils springs has not been one of them. Am I correct in saying the way to do it is jack up the car until the wheels are off the ground, support the axle with jack stands, undo the rear shock absorber, and then jack the car up another 2-3 inches? The coil spring should slide right out, correct? Thanks.

The car is a 73 Electra

I would jack the car up and support the car with jack stands under the frame. Then put the jack under the axle and take the pressure off the spring first, disconnect the shock at the bottom bolt, and then lower the rear axle.

Of course, if those shocks have been on the car for a while, don't count on the lower bolt coming off too easy.

Guest Shaffer

Not sure about changing them, but let me give a little bit of advice. If you have not yet bought springs, I would not recommend buying "cargo" springs. Someone told me that it what was installed on my 73 Grand Ville- which is why it is not riding as smooth as it did from the factory. I have been told to put a lot of weight in the trunk to help break some of the tension of the springs. I dont know- I hope it helps.

Here is a photo of my car (taken today with 700 lbs. in the trunk)- even with 700 pounds in the trunk- there is still some spring travel. crazy.gif

The springs were installed in the 198Os- I have no idea why they installed these.

Good luck.

BTW- why are you changing your springs- does your car set too low in the rear, suspension too soft, or both?

I have done this on a 65 Skylark. Take the bottom bolts out of the shocks, then jack the car up and support the frame. Don't forget to replace the rubber cushion at the top, its usually shot. Soak those bolts holding the coil to the rear axle.