Has anyone else ever seen a '61 Invicta Custom 4-door hardtop?

Centurion

I've seen a few of the '61 Invicta Custom 2-door hardtops over the years. These cars were, of course, fitted with the beautiful "jewel tone" vinyl bucket seat interiors, and I believe that this interior was also available in the convertibles.

intereo.JPG

I began picking up "Motor Trend" magazines when I was seven years old, and among the articles in one of those early issues was the road test of a '61 Invicta 4-door hardtop. The car used for the tests was fitted with a beautiful full leather interior, and I realized immediately that the interior was much different from that in my uncle's new '61 Invicta four-door hardtop. Over the years, I have never run across a '61 Invicta four-door with the beautiful leather interior -- until now. An individual in my BCA chapter recent acquired for resale a '61 Invicta Custom four-door hardtop. The car is finished in Desert Fawn with Cordovan roof and the full leather interior. I'm guessing that the production run for this particular interior style was very small. Has anyone else seen one of these? Has anyone tried to learn whether the Sloan Museum has documents that record the number of '61 Invicta Customs that Buick produced?

Currently, autolit.com is offering a factory photo of the '61 Invicta Custom four-door hardtop interior. The photo does not illustrate the folding center armrest in both the front and rear seats.

aa1206.jpg

Centurion ...

Around 1984, I ran across a 1961 Buick Invicta Custom 4-door hardtop parked at a tourist attraction somewhere in central Florida. It was Newport Silver top and bottom and had a red leather interior. It carried Invicta Custom badges on the front fenders, as I recall. The car was in excellent condition, with the silver paint still retaining a nice shine. The color and trim combination gave it a rich and rather European appearance. I've looked at thousands of interesting cars in my life, and this one still stands out in my memory. I've often wondered if it survived. My 1961 Buick Features and Facts book seems to indicate the front and rear fold-out armrests were available with Custom trim, but were an additional option. I don't recall if the car in Florida had them or not. It would be nice to see pictures of the Fawn/Cordovan Invicta Custom. Thanks for bringing up this attractive and interesting Buick -- it will be interesting to see if any other "sightings" are reported.

Norb and Allcars, thank you for your replies. Allcars, I agree with you that the interiors on these cars almost have an elegant, European appearance. The seating areas remind me of what might be found in a Jaguar or Mercedes of the same era.

I will work at obtaining some photos of the one in my area, which, by the way, is a steal of a deal at $2,900.

The text is in French, I'll try to translate it: (It might sound weird!)

THE QUALITY ARTICLE-To take all, nothing is as nice, as luxurious, as durable as genuine leather, like the interior trim of this Invicta Custom 4 door hardtop. Lower the armrest, in front or at the rear and you get the comfort of a genuine "club" armchair resting for the long courses, and always elegant. Only a few parts of the trim are made in vinyl, but they are so nicely assorted to the leather that only an expert could distinguish them. The Invicta convertible has bucket seats divided by an armrest.

Another attachment

It says:

STANDARD EQUIPMENT OF THE BUICK INVICTA-

Wildcat 445 engine. Turbine transmission. Heater and defroster. Full flow oil filter. "De Luxe" wheelcovers. Directionnal signals. Brakes with cooling fins with front aluminium drums. Automatic glove box light. Electric windshield wipers. "De Luxe" steering. Padded dash. Front and rear carpet.

INVICTA CUSTOM 4 DOOR HARDTOP ONLY:

Electric clock. License plate frame. Automatic trunk light. Bright "Custom" exterior trim. "Custom" cushions.