HELP I D Packard spotlight

palbuick

Recently located a windshield post spotlight with the name Packard Motor car Co., Chicago, Ill. Name on rear knob, DRIVERS De LIGHT. Rim is steel with nickle or chrome.Main body is steel, and some of the brackets are brass. Reflector is in v.g. condition can't see any splitting. Believe from late teens or early 20's.

Any help to identify era, appreciated.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

I ran across one of these decades ago, in the carriage house of an elegant old home. I was told that a late teens Twin-Six Packard had once occupied the garage, and the spotlight had been removed and hung on a nail on the wall, where it remained for four decades until I found it. Your light looks identical. I think it came off a late teens to early 20s Packard open car, which in that era could be either a six or a twelve.

Hard to tell without a front view but it looks like it came from a 1921 or earlier Packard. If you go to the Packardclub homepage and look at the front end views of the cars you can see the similarity in shape between your light (as best as I can guess) and the shape of the headlights used on those cars. Hope this helps.