Anyone changed rear shocks on a 71-76 GM full-size sedan/coupe?

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

The other day, we (my dad and I) were going to change the rear shocks on my 73' Pontiac, but ran into some difficulty. When we tried to loosen the bolts on the top of the shocks, they were turning, but it seems as if there are nuts also turning on the top. Seems to be in an impossible area to get a wrench on, but someone on the Pontiac site said it was easily done, as they have changed these on their 74' Pontiac. I am guessing this setup was the same for all of the 71-76 full-size Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick and Cadillac, but I am not sure. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to change these? I would hate to have to take it to a shop to have them changed. I want to put the original shocks back on it, as someone had installed heavy-duty shocks on it most recently. I know that they also changed the springs as well. Thanks for any information/advice.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the offer, but I took it to the shop and had them installed. I am disappointed though. It rides rougher than it did with the Monroe shocks. I do not understand. (See other thread)