54-55 air condition

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I am looking at buying an AC system for installing into a 2 door 54 Roadmaster .It is in a 2 dr 54 Super so should "fit". I currently have a 55 Super parts car with a full system but it is a 4 door. What are the differences in the two systems other than the interior ducts and the compressor. What experience has anyone had with restoring AC systems. What should I be looking close at re the condition of this unit.I have pretty good pictures but can't tell the real condition. What components can/can't be rebuilt etc.. It is currently still in the car (not much left to it though). I may buy the whole car but it is about 70 gallons of gas away (160 RT). I'd be having to remove and replace the original excellant condition headliner to install the duct work and vents in mine. Would this be possible without ruining the headliner eo you think. Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Mr. Earl, I don't have all your answers, but I have spoken in the past with Classic Air of Tampa, Florida. Although this company offers new A/C systems for vintage cars, the company's principal focus is the restoration of original factory A/C systems. They may be able to help you out with turning the parts and pieces you have into a fully functioning system.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Thanks Brian, after I figure out what I'm gonna do and if I do purchase this one I'll give them a call. I'm suspecting there are some new parts that can be interchanged with the old that would not affect the authenticity of the system and the car. Hopefully some of the folks that have these systems will help me out hea. wink.gif