63 Starfire Rear Main Seal

RASCARS

As long as you're going to have the oil pan off, I'd check rod and main bearings. As noted above, depending on how many miles it's been since the engine was torn down/built, you may want to replace the oil pump, they usually aren't very expensive. With good bearings, seals and oil pump, the lower end of your engine should be in decent shape. What type of compression readings do you get?

The car and engine have 84,000 original miles.

The engine has never been taken down. I have been thinking about doing a full rebuild, but that may entail too many "might as wells" and $$$$. The car is just begining to burn a little oil from the left side of the engine for about the first 10 minutes of driving, then it's fine.

I'm going to check the compression tomorrow and I'll report my findings.

Thanks for responding

205 is pretty high! I don't think I've ever seen a gasoline engine go that high. More than a 10 variation between cylinders is usually considered a problem, but if judging by the high numbers you have, I don't think compression is a problem.

your compression is more than good. in fact, i would almost be suspicious of the gauge you are using. the oil burning you see could be the result of bad valve stem seals. i would change them, if for no other reason than age. a leak down test will further confirm the condition of the rings, but it sounds like you've got a pretty strong engine.

• 1 month later...
Guest Blownolds

If you haven't done so, get hold of a neoprene rear seal. You can get them through twjoyce on the board here.