"Type A" Auto tranny fluid - Modern equivalent ?

Guest De Soto Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

Am getting ready to put my 1960 Chrysler Windsor back togther after an enigne overhaul.

Shop Manual says "Transmission fluid Type A ". (Torqueflite 3 -spd)

What is the present-day equivalent ?

Thanks...

Guest Randy Berger

Frank, I think I'd go down on the WPC forum and ask the Chrysler folks what they recommend. More experience there than up here among the "old pharts".

YFAM, Randy berger

Guest De Soto Frank

I'll do that Randy...

Way back when, just about anything with an automatic used type A, so I figured somebody here ought to know...

The guys at the neighborhood auto store sure DON'T have any idea...

Since the first days of automatic transmissions, there have been two different types. "Type A" ...and "Type F". Type "A" was used in General Motors transmissions, and "Type F" was used in Ford-based transmissions.

In the earlier years, with the friction materials of the day, it was critical to use the correct fluid - for the simple reason the "co efficient of friction" was different. The "Type F" fluids were more "grabby"...and the "Type A" was more "slippery". You can visualize what would happen if you used the wrong fluid.

A 'poster" above had the right idea. Consult your marque forum, and see what they have to say as to modern equivs.

(my wife wants to sell me...for five bucks she'd pay shipping and you'd get

LOTS of change)

Frank,

Napa sells a type FA which is basically a direct replacement, I had looked this up for my 56 Roadmaster which uses the type A. Check with a local Napa dealer.

By the way my step son and I did finally take his 51 Desoto out for a ride last year, that fluid drive is a funky transmisson, It did work well though after sitting for many years. We ended up completely rebuilding the engine though due to a knock, so it should be on the road as soon as I finish a little sheet metal work.

Do you know of a way to adjust the hi range shift linkage? it ocassionally won't go in all the way, I have determined it to be the linkage throw, but see no obvious adjustment, or do we have to replace the rubber linkage bushings?

Thanks Scott

Guest De Soto Frank

Scott,

I think the only adjustment is where the rod attaches to the lever on the steering column.

Worn rubber bushings will also cause lost-travel in the linkage. Steele usually has those.

Good old "Tip-Toe Shift"...another way of saying "we're not gonna pay GM for a Hydramatic!" wink.gif

As far as semi-auto trannies go, the 1949-'54 version was about the best of all...they outlasted things like the Hudson Drive-master and Packard's "Electro-matic Clutch"...

What engine's in the De Soto ?

Thanks, by the way, for the leads on the tranny fluid.

cool.gif