are fenders bolted on or welded

i have a 69 electra convert, this may seem like a stupid question, but would the fenders be bolted on or welded, i cant see any bolts from the top engine compartment, but i see some, in the fender well underneath<P>thanks joe

The front fenders are bolted on. You can see how they attach in a Buick Service Manual illustration and in the GM Parts Book illustration section. <P>In my '70 Buick Chassis Manual, it shows:<BR>1 bolt at the bottom of the A-pillar (seen with the door open), 1 vertical and 1 horizontal that go directly into the cowl (near the a/c blower motor), and 2 at the bottom rear horizontal section of the fender behind the wheel. Then there are two at the front where the upper rail of the radiator core support has a flange that mates with the upper fender using 2 bolts.<P>In removing the front fender, don't forget to take the hood hinge loose from the fender itself (supporting the hood or removing it entirely!).<P>Hope this might help get you started.<P>NTX5467

NTX, the chasis manual your referring to, is it the Fischer manual? If not, do you know where one could obtain a "good" readable copy of these manuals?? This sounds alot like information I'm constantly looking for but can never find in writing! Thanks!

The manual I was looking at is the 1970 "Buick Chassis Service Manual". It has many "body shop" type items in it(graphics of the front end sheet metal and how to adjust/aligh it too). The GM "Body Manual" of those years was more involved with how to adjust door glass and those types of things and, for what I generally get into, not what I need. It also covers all makes and models instead of just Buicks or Chevrolets or whatever. Hence, it's more universality.<P>Those old GM chassis service manuals contained a whole lot of information regarding specs, theory of operation/design, and other great information that the modern manuals replace with trouble trees that end in "replace part" instead of telling people how to repair them. Different orientations for different times.<P>There are some vendors who also have these things on CD-rom media. I haven't personally used any of them, but they are supposed to have the service manual and parts manual and even some sales literature on the specific year of vehicle. I understand they might be a little pricey, but not when compared to finding good, useable manuals and sales lit. Otherwise, there are several literature vendors you might check with at swap meets or from ads in The Bugle.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

There is a company that sells copies of old Buick manuals on Ebay. Go into Ebay motors and do a search. Just type in your year car and see what appears. They are called I believe Crank em Up publications or something like that. They are located on the East Coast. They have permission to re publish the books from Buick.<BR> Another web location is <A HREF="http://www.books4cars.com" TARGET=_blank>www.books4cars.com</A> <BR>they have a lot of material they have over 30,000 manuals on stock. Good Luck