End of Buick City

Buick Assembly plant is still there but as of this week it is laying on the ground in several big piles which will be sorted and recycled as much as possible.The steel framework may turn up in next years Buicks.

I've been following some of the posts on this but know very little. So, I'm asking - what era's and models of Buicks were made in this plant. What year was production stopped and what cars were the last to be made here. Also was it a inefficient or outdated facility?

The Buick City Assembly Center closed July 1, 1999. The last vehicles produced were the LeSabre and the Pontiac Bonneville. At the time of the plant closing, we were the #1 assembly plant in North America and tied for #1 in the world. Yes, the plant was old, but we sure knew how to build quality automobiles! I pass by the site a few times per week and it's a damn shame to see the place I worked for 27 years slowly being dismantled. Part of the reason the plant is gone is the political climate in Flint and Local 599. Maybe Buicks will be built there again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.