1972 Ram Air Hood

rwp442

Two years ago, I had my hood completely rebuilt and painted. In the process, most of the orginal fibreglass was replaced including the hood scoops.

This car has basically been in a heated garage since and now I find one hairline crack appearing in one corner of each scoop? Has anyone had this problem - I spent a fortune to have this hood "properly" repaired and repainted since it is an original OEM hood and to have this now happen is really frustrating?

Prior to having the hood repainted, I never had a crack anywhere on the scoops and now I have two!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

1972 Cutlass 442 Holiday Coupe, 455 Ram Air w. Hurst Dual Gate

2002 CE Trans Am Convertible, Ls1, Hurst 6 spd

If you didn't have any cracks in the factory fiberglass, why did you have most of it replaced in the 1st place? Since you spent a "fortune" having a seemingly good hood repaired, I'd take it back to the shop or person that did it.

Ask your bodyman if he used a SMC repair kit to fix the cracks or if he used a fiberglass repair kit. The hoods are SMC not fiberglass. Fiberglass repair will not stick to SMC. SMC is short for Sheet Moulded Compound. Good luck