55 stude eng conversion

ravens

i know some models of stude used packard engs. can anyone tell me which engs will bolt into my 55 coupe without mod's except part swapping???? any make or model will do if it fits and will upgrade the performance??? Cadillac?? Hudson??

Packard?? AMC?? ANY others EMAIL-------- "loosecannon39@yahoo.com"

I'd even consider a SBC as a last resort

TKS

DAN

As you are probably aware Studebaker made their own engines and with a few exceptions didn't share engines with other manufacturers. One of those exceptions was the Packard 352 V-8 engine used in the 1956 Golden Hawk and the other exception was the Canadian built 1965 & 1966 Studebakers which used Mckinnon (modified Chevy) engines. (Studebaker closed it main plant in So. Bend Indiana in late 1963 and thus no longer had he facilities to make engine blocks.) There are a number of people who have converted to non-Studebaker engines, however there is some fabrication of parts such as engine mounts, linkages, drive shafts, etc. that are required. Try posting you question at the Studeabker Drivers Club website forum:

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/default.asp

Don't be surprised if several Studebaker enthusiasts try to convince you to stick with a Studebaker engine. They were reliable and can be modified to provide plenty of wallop, keep in mind the factory produced supercharged 289 V-8's in 1957 & 1958 that would fit into your 1955.

• 2 months later...

Dan is right. Studebaker V8s can be punched plenty and were stout. The 224 crankshaft was the strongest but also the smallest displacement. The 232, introduced in 1951 was stroked up to 259 and 289 with two and four barrels. Then McCulloch vs57 superchargers and later Paxtons were added. These ran well in early 60's NASCAR. Andy Granatelli bored them up to 305, also with much success but Studebaker had already missed the muscle machine wallet.

But first, what was your 55, Champion or Commander? The frames were from the same stamping but of different gage steel. Be leery of installing a real POWERplant in a Champion frame that has already sufferred fifty years of fatigue. Even Commander frames age with time. Newly engineered frames are available but will set you back nearly three grand.