'56 heater core

How do get the heater core out of my '56 special? After 40 years working on this car, I'm still amazed as to how difficult things that should be simple are. Is it just me? Sometimes I wish it were a Chevrolet but I catch myself pretty quick when see how cool this low rid'n Buick is.

danlb

Guest imported_MrEarl

Dan, thankfully I've not had experience with this so can't help you myself. You may want to also post this in the Buick Collectable Technical and Restoration forum of the BCA Forum also.

While I haven't done this job (yet), I will be soon. I have looked but the original 56 manual is of no help. There is no section on removal of the heater core.

But there is a big section on the air conditioner, and this shows that the Air conditioning evaporator is under the hood, and it appears the heater core is accessed from inside the car by removing the glove compartment and the passenger side kick panel.

It may be that you'll need a partner to hold the bolts under the hood while the nuts are removed from the inside.

Wish I could be more help, Please post what ever you can from this job.

JD

• 4 weeks later...

The heater core on my 56 Special sits in a heater box attached to the outside of the firewall, on the passenger side of the car, tucked in behind the inner guard. I am rebuilding my car and the easiest way that I can see for you to remove it is by taking off the front fender (mudguard). My heater core box was attached with about 6 screws which were covered in underseal. I have some photos of mine apart if that is of any use.

The fender was easy to remove as I already had the front bumper, grille and associated parts removed as I was stripping the car for a rebuild. I am unsure whether the fender could be removed without removing the other items first, but I doubt it as the grille is bolted to the front of the fender and wraps around it.