What are the Model Numbers?

Guest LeSabre Nut

Guest LeSabre Nut

I am getting ready to send in my renewal for the BCA and I have a question. It says to list the Model Number of my cars. I am not sure what these are or where to find them. Could someone please help me?<P>I have a 1984 LeSabre Custom V8, 1987 Century Limited 4 cylinder, and a 1989 LeSabre T-Type.<P>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

In the back of the Roster, there will be a listing, as mentioned, of each Buick model that year with the number produced also listed.<P>In earlier times, the model was listed by a two digit number (Model 75 would be the '58 Buick Limited series), sometimes followed by another letter or number to indicate "which" Model 75 Limited was being referred to.<P>You'll notice that in 1959, the models are now 4 digit numbers. These numbers decode as: 4419 = 4 is Buick Division, 4 is sales level (LeSabre in this case with higher model levels having higher numbers), 19 is the internal designation for 4 door sedan. In this case, it's a '59 LeSabre 4-door sedan. It could also be called a Series 4400 in some Buick literature.<P>Then, in the later 1960s, the 4 digit number became a 5 digit number. 4 still means Buick Division, the next two digits define the model series, and the last two digits still define the body style. In 1973, the second pair of digits became letter designations for the same things (i.e., model series) as the letters were the internal platform designation of the body series.<P>Beginning with the 1995 model list in the Roster, the first "4" is dropped from the model designation as that meant "Buick Division" anyway.<P>Being in the parts end of things at the dealership level, it was much easier for me to think of models in the later designations, for example a BL39 would always be a LeSabre 4-door hardtop regardless of which year it was produced in. Then, when we went to the computerized parts database, my strategy became more important and was adapted to something like "B76B" to get me to items for a 1976 Buick LeSabre--past that initial model loggin, then the body style became important.<P>Notice that engine size usually is not an issue with the basic model number. As model years advanced, engine size was usually tied to the various models. You might also notice that most of these model numbers also appear as part of the first section of the vehicle's VIN, especially in earlier times. There is a particular digit in the middle of the VIN for engine designation just as producing plant and year model.<P>Therefore, in your model listings, just the numeric or alphanumeric listings (minus the initial "4" in the 5 digit listings) are what's important for updating your vehicle information.<P>The GM model designation system is really pretty simple when you understand it and learn to think in those things, but in earlier times I never did understand the seemingly unique to Buick reason for calling models by a "series number" in the owner's manual instead of just calling them a "LeSabre" or whatever (something lay people could understand)--but that's just part of the uniqueness of dealing with Buicks.<P>Hope this helps and hasn't confused too much.<P>NTX5467

Guest LeSabre Nut

Thanks for all the information guys! I appreciate it. Turns out I joined the BCA after the roster was published last year so I did not receive a copy.<P>Thanks to Mike at the BCA office for helping me out with the Model Numbers?