1960 Buick Invicta 2DR Convertible

Guest mwallans

Guest mwallans

Hey I have a 1960 Invicta 2DR convertible that I bought a while back to restore... just wondering if anyone may be interested. It has true bucket seats up front with a power driver's seat and center armrest. Has been sitting for 6 years, at which time I drove it 120 miles to where it's being stored.

The car is mostly complete, has some interior components missing, side glass cracked... but overall a super project.

I will entertain serious offers, otherwise I'll sit on it until I can bring it back to life.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mwallans

Sorry guys... posted it and forgot about the posting. For some reason I thought replies would automatically be sent to me at my email address, like some other forums I've posted on. Sorry about that guys. Email me at mwallans@verizon.net if interested after reading the following:

Basically, I bought it in the 3rd year of my Mechanical Engineering degree... which I graduated from 3 years ago. The guy I bought it off of purchased it from an estate auction as part of a lot... and didn't want this car. It was a 2 car lot that included this vehicle and a 1938 BMW roadster! So he wanted the BMW, I bought this from him, and then drove it 200km home, it ran fine but needed new springs and shocks at least-- they are original. I stored it indoors for the next 3 years, starting it occasionally (every 3 months) and changing the oil.

Previous owner before that was an old collector, and had it sprayed (cheaply) in white with all badges off, then passed away. Original gas tank was in somewhere for recoating at the time he passed on, and I couldn't locate it, so it has no gas tank. Starter motor had a short and needs replacing. Brake master cyl leaks. Needs all new seals, and hydraulic pump for the top needs work too.

Interior is rough. Leather is cracking and nasty. Has low miles, if I remember correctly around 30K. Needs door panel covers, originals are in the trunk, in sad shape. Needs floor work, looks like a cheap patch job was done with misc sheet steel and rivets. Has a new carpet and convertible top from when I originally bought it, both purchased by the old man, but need to be reinstalled or replaced, due to the fact that I think they were just slapped on to get it ready for sale all those years ago.

Car is located in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I moved to California 2 years ago, left the car in Ottawa, where it was stored 1 year in my friend's garage, then for the past year has been outdoors wrapped in a tarp on a concrete slab beside his garage. Was not left on grass!

Missing some chrome trim on the exterior which could not be located after the paint job. Paint was starting to rust in some spots before I left Ottawa 2 years ago. I haven't seen it in the past year. 2 side windows (on each door) are cracked and need replacement. Windshield is perfect, with of course some pitting on the chrome

Last year when I moved it out from the garage to the slab, I noticed a tranny seal was leaking. Heater core also developed a leak (no not because of freezing, it corroded-- I changed the antifreeze twice since I bought it, even though it only ran for maybe 2 hours since it was parked).

Basically, it needs a good home and a complete restoration. Most of the parts are there except minor things that could come from any 1960 buick, like the odd window crank handle.

Ya it needs a lot of work, but this is 1 of 5236 built, with who knows how many left, and this one is MOSTLY complete. I'd have to check if the numbers match but I believe that it is highly likely that they do.

I'm heading back to Ottawa in February and I'll take some pics, which I'll mail to anyone who is seriously interested in undertaking this project.

Otherwise, I will ship it out here and (hopefully) do a body-off... it would make one bitchin' ride!!

Thanks again and sorry for not updating earlier!

Mike

• 11 months later...
Guest mwallans

Time to bring this thread back to life! I have decided that I will likely never have the ability to bring this car back to life given several developments in my life.

As such, the car 100% for sale. Last time I opened the discussion for offers, I got a lot of really nice stories about memories of the past that involved an Invicta Custom convertible. I appreciate these stories, and I realize this car is special, and very rare. However, I did not receive a single offer, despite there being 7 distinct interested parties. Most insisted they needed to know where I stood on my expectations before they could make an offer....

I am not looking to make a fortune off of it, however I am looking to not lose a lot of money on it. I have invested in the neighborhood of $5000 to acquire it, and so you now know what ballpark you are looking at.

I saw the seats for this car sell for $2600 on ebay a few months ago, so don't waste my time with offers that are ridiculous low balls, please. The car is in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, and I can facilitate shipping to anywhere in USA/Canada. I am located in California.

My preference as always is to make the sale to someone who will restore it and use it, however, as they say, cash talks.

If there is not sufficient response to this posting, the sale will migrate to eBay... and if that doesn't work, I will be parting it out, so if you desire a mostly complete, numbers matching Invicta, take it while it's available.

Kind regards to all who are interested.

I can be reached at mwallans@verizon.net or by phone at (714) 655-6508.

• 1 month later...
Guest mwallans

After several months, the negotiated sale hasn't materialized. As such, I am once again seeking a home for this 1960 invicta custom.

Thanks,

Mike

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Last time I opened the discussion for offers, I got a lot of really nice stories about memories of the past that involved an Invicta Custom convertible....However, I did not receive a single offer, despite there being 7 distinct interested parties. Most insisted they needed to know where I stood on my expectations before they could make an offer... </div></div>

Hi Mike,

You've been dancing around for over a year now and teasing us with this very intriguing car. It's time to stop cutting bait and start fishing. grin.gif

If I may be blunt, there's no shortage of interest, only a shortage of detailed information about it and a specific asking price. On behalf of myself and many other interested parties, you really need to provide some good quality pictures, a detailed description, and a clearly stated asking price. This is especially true since the car is not in a convenient location for many potential buyers, and you are across the country from it.

I don't mean to offend, blush.gif but I think others share my frustration on this. BTW, if you really want to "open it to offers" rather than specify a price, why don't you put it on an online auction such as eBay? But for this you will still need the detailed description and excellent photos in order to realize the car's maximum potential.

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Greg,i agree with you 100%.I have posted to another thread were the seller is looking for BEST OFFER on a STAGE1 emblem.If these guys want to fish,pay the money and put the stuff on ebay.Should be a board rule as to putting a for sale or asking price on every ad.

Guest mwallans

Hi All...

The simple fact is that this car was sold to a car collector who backed out because he couldn't arrange the shipping, or at least that's the story I'm getting. I have considered the car sold on his word alone since the post saying as much on Jan. 30. This collector paid to have detailed photos of the car taken by a photographer in Ottawa, and offered me the price I was looking for.

As for what I want for the car, I have had 6 phone conversations with members of this forum interested in acquiring the car that knew exactly what I was looking for based on my posts without any explaining necessary.

As for ebay, that is likely where it is headed. I only wish that when I was in Ottawa 3 weeks ago the "buyer" had let me know his intentions, as I would have been able to take better photographs than the ones I've already sent out to everyone that's asked for them.

The descriptions I have already given are detailed. As for photos, given the circumstances you should have no reason to complain about them: This car was put up for definite sale about 7 weeks ago. I had a rock-solid offer of exactly what I was looking for 3 days later, from a reputable collector who clearly had enough interest to hire his own photographer. The offer was accepted, and there was a verbal agreement in place.

This has nothing to do with fishing, dilly-dallying, dancing, teasing or anything else. Straight up, the car was sold in my view. If you're sore about it, don't take it out on me. It's available again, so be happy if you're genuinely interested.

The majority of your complaining is unfounded. Please re-read the info at the bottom of the page for a detailed description of the vehicle, reposted from before, including a discussion on price. Speaking of price, there are two figures given. One for what I've seen the seats sell for alone, and the other what I've invested, in general proximity of a statement that I don't want to lose money. The less than intuitive shoudl be able to interpret the price of two seats as less than acceptable, and the amount I've invested as a bulls-eye.

If you have questions about anything specific not answered therein, ask me. Don't make blanket statements that I haven't given you enough. Enough is relative to each individual, and if you need more, ask me for the specific info and you will receive it.

If what you need are photos then be patient, and re-read the above paragraphs to understand once more why they have not been provided.

Here are the posts I have referenced above:

February 3, 2005

"Sorry guys... posted it and forgot about the posting. For some reason I thought replies would automatically be sent to me at my email address, like some other forums I've posted on. Sorry about that guys. Email me at mwallans@verizon.net if interested after reading the following:

Basically, I bought it in the 3rd year of my Mechanical Engineering degree... which I graduated from 3 years ago. The guy I bought it off of purchased it from an estate auction as part of a lot... and didn't want this car. It was a 2 car lot that included this vehicle and a 1938 BMW roadster! So he wanted the BMW, I bought this from him, and then drove it 200km home, it ran fine but needed new springs and shocks at least-- they are original. I stored it indoors for the next 3 years, starting it occasionally (every 3 months) and changing the oil.

Previous owner before that was an old collector, and had it sprayed (cheaply) in white with all badges off, then passed away. Original gas tank was in somewhere for recoating at the time he passed on, and I couldn't locate it, so it has no gas tank. Starter motor had a short and needs replacing. Brake master cyl leaks. Needs all new seals, and hydraulic pump for the top needs work too.

Interior is rough. Leather is cracking and nasty. Has low miles, if I remember correctly around 30K. Needs door panel covers, originals are in the trunk, in sad shape. Needs floor work, looks like a cheap patch job was done with misc sheet steel and rivets. Has a new carpet and convertible top from when I originally bought it, both purchased by the old man, but need to be reinstalled or replaced, due to the fact that I think they were just slapped on to get it ready for sale all those years ago.

Car is located in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I moved to California 2 years ago, left the car in Ottawa, where it was stored 1 year in my friend's garage, then for the past year has been outdoors wrapped in a tarp on a concrete slab beside his garage. Was not left on grass!

Missing some chrome trim on the exterior which could not be located after the paint job. Paint was starting to rust in some spots before I left Ottawa 2 years ago. I haven't seen it in the past year. 2 side windows (on each door) are cracked and need replacement. Windshield is perfect, with of course some pitting on the chrome

Last year when I moved it out from the garage to the slab, I noticed a tranny seal was leaking. Heater core also developed a leak (no not because of freezing, it corroded-- I changed the antifreeze twice since I bought it, even though it only ran for maybe 2 hours since it was parked).

Basically, it needs a good home and a complete restoration. Most of the parts are there except minor things that could come from any 1960 buick, like the odd window crank handle.

Ya it needs a lot of work, but this is 1 of 5236 built, with who knows how many left, and this one is MOSTLY complete. I'd have to check if the numbers match but I believe that it is highly likely that they do.

I'm heading back to Ottawa in February and I'll take some pics, which I'll mail to anyone who is seriously interested in undertaking this project.

Otherwise, I will ship it out here and (hopefully) do a body-off... it would make one bitchin' ride!!

Thanks again and sorry for not updating earlier!"

January 27th, 2006

"Time to bring this thread back to life! I have decided that I will likely never have the ability to bring this car back to life given several developments in my life.

As such, the car 100% for sale. Last time I opened the discussion for offers, I got a lot of really nice stories about memories of the past that involved an Invicta Custom convertible. I appreciate these stories, and I realize this car is special, and very rare. However, I did not receive a single offer, despite there being 7 distinct interested parties. Most insisted they needed to know where I stood on my expectations before they could make an offer....

I am not looking to make a fortune off of it, however I am looking to not lose a lot of money on it. I have invested in the neighborhood of $5000 to acquire it, and so you now know what ballpark you are looking at.

I saw the seats for this car sell for $2600 on ebay a few months ago, so don't waste my time with offers that are ridiculous low balls, please. The car is in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, and I can facilitate shipping to anywhere in USA/Canada. I am located in California.

My preference as always is to make the sale to someone who will restore it and use it, however, as they say, cash talks.

If there is not sufficient response to this posting, the sale will migrate to eBay... and if that doesn't work, I will be parting it out, so if you desire a mostly complete, numbers matching Invicta, take it while it's available.

Kind regards to all who are interested.

I can be reached at mwallans@verizon.net or by phone at (714) 655-6508."

• 4 months later...

OK Buick people: I am now the new owner of this Invicta Custom Convert. Here's the story....I contacted Mike the owner and expressed interest. When he said it was sold on the thread I was dissapointed and figured, oh well. Well,it re-appeared and we got a communication going, struck a deal and it's here at my house in California.

There were several stumbling blocks .

It wasn't running.

The car was in Canada and wasn't visually too accessable because the pictures were quite vague.

The quotes I got from transport companies were between $2600-$3000 plus because it didn't run. It had to cross the boarder and needed to be "blessed" by customs people.

Anyway, it's here. Mike represented it correctly, I got a good deal on transportation and I recieved help from Mr. Larry Dennis of Ottawa who actually went WAY beyond the call of duty and for that I am eternally grateful!!!

I now have an 1960 Invicta Custom coupe, wagon and convert. There's always room for another 60. Know of one out there? Mitch.

OK Loflite: I always liked the Invicta Custom. I have 3 coupes. Titian red, white top & trunk with burgundy inside ,white with titian tri tone & burgundy inside and chalet blue with white top & blue inside. The wagon is choclate brown with matching interior and the convert is white with a black top and burgandy inside. I have owned some over 20 years! I guess that I am a real sucker for them. Today's prices are high for even junky examples.

As far as pics, I don't have a digital camera yet. Greg might have some pics. If not ask AL Randmae. He's at alrandmae@aol.com

Mitch

• 2 weeks later...

i just bought a 1960 lesabre as "parts car". it looks like it is pretty complete and in good shape. i will find out shortly if it runs, but all i really have to have off of it is the front fenders and the hood. i think the invicta shared a lot of parts with the lesabre or i am willing to sell the rest of the car after i get what i need. please contactme at eckelkamp2001@yahoo.com