79 cutlass salon with unusal options

3054speed

I have a 79 cutlass salon 2dr with some unusal options, the car was ordered with an LG4 305 chevrolet engine along with a 4speed trans and a 3.08 geared limited slip differential, and rally suspension. It also has full guages and a factory installed hurst shifter. I have never seen another salon equiped like this. Does anyone know the production numbers for 1979 and are they broke down by options? The car is in good shape and has not had any modifications from stock, and I am wondering if it is rare car that is worth a resto. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

It's a very rare car. The 4-speed was available only with the 305 Chevy engine, and was available because Chevy used it in the Camaro. It was emissions certified for that application and they were trying to spread costs around a little.

Is it a Salon WITHOUT the 442 package? I ask because the rallye suspension and gauges came with 442, which was Salon-based in 78-79.

Total 1979 Salon coupe production: 8399 G87 Salons, 3617 J87 Cutlass Salon Broughams. The books don't break down options.

They're rare now because they weren't popular cars when new. The slantback styling jarred a lot of buyers and the bodystyle lasted only two years. Some people still dislike it, but if I see one in nice shape now I realise it wasn't that bad looking a car. It certainly has better and more distinctive styling than the jellybeans that pass for cars now.

In good shape? Yes, by all means restore it. Doubtful you'll make your money back, but you'll have something no one else has and it will draw some attention.

Thanks for the info. The car is indeed a cutlass salon coupe WITHOUT the 442 option, I have the build sheet and it was ordered with the above mentioned equipment. The body color is dark carmine red metallic and the interior is carmine red, it also has the super stock III wheels. The story I heard from the guy I purchased it from was that he purchased it from an older lady who bought it new from the dealer. Aparently it was ordered by someone and then was not bought by the person who ordered it, so it was put on the lot for sale. Luckily the person I purchased it from was an enthusiast, and did not choose to modify or change the car from stock. I think it is quite a cool car, as you have said the body style was not that popular, so there are not a bunch of them around. Most people are shocked to find out that it has a v-8, 4 speed ect. I really enjoy driving it, and hope to work on it more this year.