heater core removal

ben 67

my 67 skylark has a leak in the heater core. im having difficulty removing it and wondered if anyone could help. ive removed the nuts fom the fire wall and from the bracket in the passenger floorboard. i wondered if i need to remove the blower motor or the passanger fender. i do have ac, id appreciate any help.

i am not sure on the 67, but if it is like the68-72 the manual says to remove the fender. There is a nut that you can't get ,and the simplest way is to look at the plastic cover under the dash. You will see a round emboss on the lower right hand corner. If you drill a 5/16 hole directly through the center of the emboss, you will remove the head from the bolt that requires the fender removal. This will allow you to remove everything, and a dab of dum=dum in th hole will take care of prying eyes. the 3 remaining bolts will hold the unit just fine.

I have changed these a couple of times on my 67,s.You dont have to take the fender off.On at least one car there were assembly nuts under the outer housing which hold the heater core in place when the rest of the assembly is put on over it.It has been several years since I changed one and it is a lot of work. You have to get these loose before the heater core will come off.Sometimes cutting a hole in the inner fender wiil help in getting at them.If you can pull the housing out enough to get a wrench under it this will help. Keep at it.Every thing will work out.

I would definitely check the 67 manual as sometimes they will spell out the tricks involved needed to remove the blower/ core assembly. My brothers Pontiac manual for his 69 states to cut a hole in the fender to access the screws.

I like the drilling out method mentioned above. Great idea!