Pinion Removal

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin knocker

I am trying to find out if anyone knows a method of removing the pinion from the driveshaft of a torque tube Buick. I have heard that this is quite a job. According to my shop manual it is best performed with puller K-346-B-R. I went down to my local Buick dealer and inquired of the parts man if this tool was available. It was not. I asked to talk to the oldest mechanic but there were none old enough to know what a torque tube was. If any of you geezers have a suggestion please let me know.

What year car are you working on? I made a puller for my 55's...yours to borrow if it will work on your application. I also have a rebuilt and ready to install set of 3.36:1 gears for a 55 Century that is getting cheaper all the time.<BR>Willie

Guest tin knocker

Old Tank--I have a 37--model 47. I am looking for a set of 3.60. I have heard that the 55 pinion is slightly different than the previous years. My 37 is turning 3200 rpms at 60 mph. A 3.90 would turn about 2800 and a 3.60 would be about 2600. I think that my old Buick could handle the 3.60, but wouldn't care to go any higher. I have found some 3.90s but no 3.60s. Supposedly the ring and pinion from 37 to about 54 are the same. If I am wrong please let me know.

tin-knocker<BR>Someone else will have to jump in here on the interchange issue. I have heard of gear swaps from 40's and 50's thru 55 Buicks. If rebuilding rears the 55 pinion bearings are hard to find and expensive since they were one year only, but if you replace the whole "pumpkin" it is not an issue. If this can be done in your 37 then my puller will work to remove the drive shaft from the pinion.<BR>Willie

I have had my best luck dropping the third member out from the front and using a third member from a later vehicle.Usually the Dynaflow units had closer ratios than stick-shift.Try Wheatbelt or Steve Ehrlich.<BR>These are both fine gentlemen. the assembly from 55 will fit way back.(I believe to 37)