Question on 1929 Wheels

Horseman

I have four 1929 wheels to put on my 1929 Model A Sport Coupe to replace the V8 wheels I have on there now. The wheels I have are the classic wheels with the solid spokes. I still need one for the spare. I see one advertised as a Model A 1929 wheel but the spokes look like bicycle tire spokes, small wire spokes. All I saw was a picture. Did Ford make both kinds for the Model A or is the one with the small wire spokes a Model T wheel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have four 1929 wheels to put on my 1929 Model A Sport Coupe to replace the V8 wheels I have on there now. The wheels I have are the classic wheels with the solid spokes. I still need one for the spare. I see one advertised as a Model A 1929 wheel but the spokes look like bicycle tire spokes, small wire spokes. All I saw was a picture. Did Ford make both kinds for the Model A or is the one with the small wire spokes a Model T wheel? </div></div>

All Ford "wire wheels" from 1926-35 were welded steel spoke wheels, with forged steel spokes resistance-welded into the hubs and rims. A "laced" wire wheel (built up like a bicycle or motorcycle wheel) also would necessarily have more spokes than on a Model T or Model A, as the 21" (26-29) and 19" (30-31) steel spoke wheel pattern is very much simplified, in that the spokes in the outer ring are "radial spokes" rather than crossed. Visually, that would be the clue I would look at.

Art

• 2 months later...
Guest HeyPop

The original Ford spokes were all 1/4" and welded on both ends. The triangular pattern formed by the spokes was that strong over half were removed during a test once without any adverse effects. Each wheel also has 30 spokes with a tensil strength of 4000 lbs. The wires you have are they a small or large center?

• 2 weeks later...