Cabin air filter

Anybody out there have knowledge regarding replacement of the cabin air filter for a 1998 Park Avenue? My inital guess is that the whole plastic piece under the dash needs to be removed. I thought I might ask for some advice before I started the task. Thanks!!

The filter is not fun to change....I have to do it also. It is located next to the right of the gas pedal and is replaced in sections. I work for a Buick dealer. I am gonna have them do it, it's a stressful thing if you haven't done it before.

I think you are right about the whole plastic thing, Look in your owners manual it should give you all the info you need to replace it! I don't think that this filter is very well known to most owners, but it is something that should be changed every few years or so, makes for much better interior airflow.

Much like most other items in the owners manual, the info on replacing the filter is generic. The local Jiffy Lube will do it, but for around $70. For a filter that probably only costs $10, the price seems high. I have noticed since I have had the car, the air flow in the interior has diminished. Last summer I noticed air coming out of the defrost vent on the door, now I don't. I'm up to the challenge, as I have done many "difficult" repairs on my '89 and '65 Riv's. I plan to dig into the project this weekend and will update accordingly! Thanks for the tips!

Well, I completed the project today. I would recomend that anyone who has an interior air filter and habe no knowledge of it being changed, change it! There was a lot of dust, dirt, tree particles, and much more on the filters. The task is somewhat difficult, but can be done with a little back twisting! I noticed a large increase in the air flowing through the interior and at the same time saved the cost of having it done at the dealer.

On some of the other GM vehicles which use the cabin air filters, they are placed on the passenger side, outside in the cowl area, beneath the windshield. They are accessible from outside the car, but you have to remove the plastic trim near the windshield wipers. A much easier job than the Park Avenues and Venture Vans (where they are hidden up behind the glove compartment).<P>Seems like there used to be some mileage recommendation, but that would vary depending on the area the vehile is operated in, with sandier areas needing maintenance earlier than other areas.<P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467