Freeze Plugs 1955 Buick Special

Guest herkamer

Guest herkamer

I have freeez plugs leaking ( I believe that is the problem) How many freeze plugs does a 264 have and what size are they? Are there any behind the Tranny? Should I use Permatex or something like that when installing the new plugs?

Thanks

herkamer....Welsh plugs (freeze plugs) cover holes in the original casting where the core residues were removed. I do not know the size or numbers associated with your Buick; however there are several standard sizes. The Dorman Co. at one time supplied these replacements. They are domed and are installed by putting the convex surface out and tapping the center with a hammer to seat them. I don't think they need any goop (technical term) to seal them. Be careful in replacing these as the block may have rusted through rather than the plug resulting in the leak. I would only replace ones that are leaking. By the way I think JB Weld may help seal them.

herkamer

The plugs on a 55 are cup shaped, not dome shaped and are installed so that the rim of the cup is even with the block surface. There should be 2 on each side of the block between the head and pan and one on the backend of each head. The ones on the block are very difficult to change without pulling the engine and the ones on the heads are impossible to change without removing the heads. Permatex or just obout any goop will work, but JB Weld is overkill for this purpose. Your local machine shop can look up the size and maybe even order some for you....not a common size.

In a pinch I have used expandable rubber plugs.

Willie

Good Morning: Suggest you review the article in the Buick Bugle of April, 2004, (page 24) on how to replace freeze plugs. The only addition I would make is that other sealants are fine for use around the plug before installation. I also use Super Blue Silicone which has a rating of 600 degrees. Any similar product will work fine and only put on a very small amount as it will only be squeezed out. Also, be sure yours are magnetic (iron) and not brass as brass is not magnetic. Good luck, Patrick W. Brooks

• 3 weeks later...

I'll get back to you on Tuesday as I have a 264 on the stand now to overhaul, I see the two side ones are about 2.250 (maybe even a little bigger) I can't check them riught now and I have to remove the flywheel to see the rear. I'll be starting the job I think Tuesday, if not Wednesday for sure. Gary

The plugs on the back of the heads can be fixed without pulling the heads. Get a couple of water manifold gaskets to use for patterns, and some 5/16th steel plate. You can be as exact or as sloppy as you like, emergency repair or a semi-permanant fix. Shape the plate as needed and drill the 2 holes where needed, and install. The holes are threded either 5/16 or 3/8 inch. I used to get customers O.K. to do this repair on thier cars and save them a bundle of money.

Good luck,

Rider shocked.gif