My 1959 Buick Electra: Tales of a Delta-Winged Wonder

Centurion

As a kid growing up during the 1960's, I would often go with my Dad on Saturday mornings when it was time to have the oil changed in our '61 LeSabre and, later on, our '65 Wildcat. These outings gave me an opportunity to explore some of the back rooms used for vehicle storage at the Baker Garage, which has been a Buick dealership since 1913 in my hometown of Baker City, Oregon. Those back rooms always held some captivating automotive treasures, including a majestic 1940 Buick Limited that was sold to a buyer outside the area about the time I entered high school. Among the stored cars was always a silver 1959 Buick Electra flattop, and I often noticed the way the light from a distant window glinted on the delta wing tail fins. The car looked like some kind of futuristic aircraft concealed by the semi-darkness. I would sometimes imagine that I was exploring Lockheed's famed "Skunk Works". The '59 was there when I bought my first car, a used 1969 Skylark in 1972. The '59 was there when I ordered my new 1980 Skylark in the spring of 1979.

1959electra2.jpg

I rarely returned to the Baker Garage as an adult living nearly 500 miles away, but the vision of that '59 remained fixed in my mind. When I thought about it, I asked my parents if the car was still there, and the report was always the same: "I haven't seen that car for years." Sadly, I concluded that the Buick no longer existed or had sold to some aggressive collector who ransacked the rural communities for their hidden automotive jewels.

Imagine my surprise in 1998 when I visited my parents. I drove Mom past the elementary school where she had taught for many years. As we gazed across the ball field, there was the long-remembered '59 sitting in the driveway. We lost little time driving to the home of Gert Neuberger, whose uncle, Gershon, had purchased the Buick new and had died in 1960. The Buick had passed to Gershon's brother, Berthoud, who died in 1965 and left the Buick to his nephews, Bert and Gert. Gert was the final survivor of his generation, having departed Nazi Germany during the mid-1930's and suffered wounds during the D-Day Invasion at Normandy. At age 84, Gert had decided it was time -- at long last -- to sell the '59 Buick. I noted that the car had not been licensed for six years, and it was out of the garage only for the purpose of taking photos.

Here was my opportunity. This was a rust-free survivor with a beautiful original interior. The car was covered in dust and showed some bumps, dings, and areas of mis-matched paint, but it was still that beautiful delta-winged wonder that I had dreamed of for decades. Gert's asking price was, in my opinion, too high. I suggested that he advertise the car in "The Oregonian", thinking that this would reveal to him that he was asking too much. That suggestion nearly cost me the car; substantial offers were received from prospective buyers in Portland and Boise. But Gert -- a man of honor -- called to give me a final chance, preferring that the car go to the hometown boy who would preserve the car's history. How could I pass up an opportunity to make a decades-long dream come true over a few hundred dollars?

1959electra6.jpg

1959electra7.jpg

1959electra8.jpg

I took delivery of the '59 Electra on May 1, 1999. After an oil change, fuel filter replacement, and new tires to replace the ancient bias plies, I took to the road for the long drive home to the Seattle area. The Buick ran flawlessly, and, as I crossed the Blue Mountains and assured myself that all of the gauges were functioning perfectly, I switched on the original Sonomatic AM radio, tuning in to Pendleton's KUMA. As the tubes warmed and the radio crackled to life, Perry Como was singing "Catch a Falling Star", my favorite song of 1959 and the one my sister called the radio station to play for my sixth birthday way back in the summer of '59. The Buick and the immortal "Mr. C" moved me to tears that day on the Interstate, and the long wait for my delta-winged starship was finally over.

The '59 Buick represented a major design transition from the Buicks that preceded it. GM designers of the era have said that the Buick was the purest expression of the corporation's concept for its all-new 1959 models, and it was also the most "Moparesque" in appearance. Indeed, Chrysler's finned 1957 models were prime motivators for GM to dump its original '59 designs in favor of a sleek new style.

One of my favorite aspects of the car is the unique four-door hardtop roofline. Conceived in 1957 by a young Japanese-American designer named Bud Sagano, the roofline was referred to as the "flying wing" or "cantilever" roofline. With its slender "C" pillars and massive wrap-around rear window, some automotive writers have called it the ultimate in hardtop design. In fact, the design objective was to create a roofline that appeared to float above the rest of the car, and Harley Earl wanted to carry the idea a step further by finishing the roofs entirely in stainless steel. GM's experience with the stainless steel roofs of Cadillac's '57 - '58 Eldorado Brougham revealed, however, that a stainless steel "flying wing" roofline would have been prohibitively expensive to build. I have long thought that this roofline looks particularly great on the '59 Buicks, and have collected magazine articles dating back to 1976 that argue for special interest status for the GM cars built with this roofline.

1959electra5.jpg

A unique feature of my '59 is its extra-cost Triple Turbine transmission, which was the second year and final version of 1958's Flight Pitch. It's part of what makes the car technically distinctive, and I enjoy the jet-like scream during moderate acceleration. Pan American Airways was introducing the first Boeing 707's into Intercontinental airline service during the fall of 1958, just as the '59 Buick was hitting the showroom floors. I often visualize the 707 -- my Buick's great winged contemporary -- as I begin my "take-off" roll, listening to the whine of the Triple Turbine and checking out my wings in the rearview mirror. As Bob Hope claimed in a 1959 Buick television advertisement, "Driving a new Buick makes you feel like an airline captain."

Boeing707-PAA.jpg

My wife, LynnD, and my twins enjoy this car thoroughly. And Gershon Neuberger's '59 Buick rolled all the way to Flint and home again during 2003, celebrating one of America's greatest pioneering auto makers and the unique histories of thousands of other Buick automobiles.

SM-TOP-59buick.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

Brian!! that was literary and pictorial Buick ecstacy. What a story. Thanks for leading off the new "Me and My Buick" forum with such a great story. You know, not everyone within the BCA is a part of this Forum and I'd suggest that you submit that to the Bugle for ALL to have the opportunity to read. In fact I have a feeling there will be more of these that will be worthy of the same.

NEXT..... and hey folks they all don't need to be as poetic and fancy as ol' Centurion's was. Just a picture and a line or two will do and if you need help posting pictures just holler!!

Dan and Lamar, thanks for your kind comments!

Shortly after purchasing the '59 Buick, a fellow member of my North Cascade Chapter casually mentioned that he had seen a toy '59 Buick at a local antique store. He had not yet seen my car, but knew that I would soon be traveling to pick up the '59 in Oregon.

The antique store was about twenty miles away, but I decided to check out the '59 Buick toy. I realized that it could be most anything, since the Japanese tin toy manufacturers seemed to love the '59 Buicks and there were many varieties produced.

Upon arrival at the antique store, I was more than a little surprised to find a large-scale (approximately 1:16) '59 Buick 4-door flattop Japanese tin toy finished in silver. It was, amazingly, a fairly accurate replica of my '59. Needless to say, this car was rapidly added to my collection of '59 Buick memorabilia. I've monitored Ebay's '59 Buick items quite consistently for the last five years, and I have yet to see another tin '59 Buick of this size or style.

Suda.jpg

Sudo2.jpg

One more item I would like to share is this image from the '59 literature of a silver LeSabre sedan on a freeway ramp. It's one of my favorite photos of the '59 Buicks, and I would enjoy making this into a poster. Part of the appeal of this picture is the vintage GMC cab-over truck with Buick semi-trailer in the background.

SM-59handling.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Bravo, well done. I never did get around to taking any decent photos of the Special this year...gotta wait until the snow melts.

Very nice car! I really like the 59 and 69 Buicks! There is a guy living in my small town who owns a 60 LeSabre two door hardtop and a 59 Invicta 4 door hardtop. I talked to him a couple of times but never asked him what he was doing with his Invicta. He probably bought it for parts since I never saw it on the street. It doesn't look so bad however, one day I should get a closer look at it. I'm wondering if it has the Flightpitch transmission. I have always been curious about it. A few years ago, I met a guy in a couple of local shows who had a nice looking 58 Limited two door hardtop but when I questionned him about the Flightpitch and the factory a/c on his car, he told me that both were gone and the transmission was now a Dynaflow...

Guest 70 Electra

Centurion,

Fabulous story and fabulous car! Thanks for sharing both. At the risk of appearing "thick" (duhhhh) I confess I'm confused about why the car was in the Buick dealership garage all those years if it was owned by a local family.

I'm also curious to know how many miles were on it (presumably few, if the first owner died in 1960). Since I've never had the pleasure of seeing your car (how could I have missed it in Flint? duhhhh...again) I wondered if you preserved and detailed the finish that was on it or had it painted. It certainly looks beautiful in the pictures!

Greg, both of these are excellent questions. The Neuberger family owned and operated the Neuberger & Heilner department store, which was perhaps the finest store between Portland, Oregon and Boise, Idaho. The store had opened in the 1870's, and was located within two blocks of the Buick dealership.

The car's odometer read just over 23,000-miles when I purchased it, and I tried to confirm whether the mileage was actual. The family assured me that this was absolutely the original mileage, and, based on my observation that the car was seldom driven subsequent to 1965, this may well be accurate. The odometer worked well, and there are no indications that it was ever broken. The driver's seat shows little or no indication of wear, but the original carpeting does show some surprising wear in the driver's position. (The car had no floormats of any kind when I bought it.) The driver's door armrest was also worn, so these areas of wear prompted some question about the mileage. The padded portion of the dash is in excellent condition, which indicates that the car had little sun exposure over the years; these padded areas are typically collapsed on '59 Buicks that have received a good deal of direct sunlight. The original weatherstripping is also excellent, and its installation is serving as the pattern for my friend, who is restoring a '60 Pontiac Bonneville. The engine compartment, although dirty, was very original, with all aircleaner decals and silkscreening in beautiful condition. The car still had the original spark plug wires. I have no documentation of oil changes, etc., so there is little paper trail to verify the mileage. At my next opportunity, however, I will return to the dealership, where owner Glen Daugherty (who sold my parents their first new Buick in 1960) is still active at 80+ years of age. I am confident that Glen can help me confirm the car's mileage.

The paint on the car is largely original, and the original paint on the roof and decklid areas are in beautiful condition. It appears, however, that the car was involved in a few minor mishaps during its early years. The front of the hood has clearly been repainted, and the front fender color does not match the rest of the car. The doors and rear quarter on the driver's side have a few minor bumps and dings, and the lower rear bumper has taken numerous bumps over the years. The car's lower body really needs to be repainted. It appears that a past effort to rub out the paint damaged the finish, and there is some primer showing through. While I appreciate and wish to preserve the car's originality to the extent possible, the car does not look its best, and I will not be entirely pleased until its paint problems are addressed. The car is beautiful, but I must say that the photos flatter the paint job. (No, the photos have not been doctored.) The paint does not look as good as the photos indicate!

• 3 months later...
Guest invicta592

Brian,

I was just re-reading your post and can't help but wonder what your thoughts are regarding the paint on your car.

You say the photo's flatter the paintwork. I have a sneaky suspicion that it may not need too much flattery, but, if it is a bit mismatched here and there, what are your thoughts?

Would you choose to leave the paint as is, as it is obviously an original part of the car, and the re-paint is obviously of venerable age, or are you considering a re-spray?

Just wondering which you would consider the best option, originality, or restoration?

Dave, thanks for asking!

I am a great fan of originality, so it's quite tempting to leave the paint as is. So far, I've lacked the resources to do anything with the paint anyway, so I've continued to enjoy the car in its present state.

The photos do not show a clear side profile, and that's where the paint issues are most noticeable. Unfortunately, the car does not look as nice as it could and should; the paint is the principal weak spot on an otherwise very fine car. Ultimately, therefore, I will repaint the car, or at least that portion of the car below the bodyside stainless trim that starts above the headlights and angles downward to a point just ahead of the taillamps.

Dave, you've definitely raised my curiousity regarding your '59 Buick plans, and we are waiting eagerly for the time that you can tell us all about your next acquisition.

Guest invicta592

Brian,

Firstly, may I offer a round of applause for the following line..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I've continued to enjoy the car in its present state. </div></div>

Secondly, I'd be interested to see one of the elusive side profile shots to see how much you may, or may not, be hiding from us wink.gif

Thirdly, my Buick plans are still afoot, and progressing smoothly so far. I'm still reluctant to tempt fate, but.... my email addy won't be changing tongue.gif

I'm also pretty sure that I'll have divulged my secrets long before MrEarl gets round to showing us his current crop of Buicks. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Guest ZondaC12

WOW. what a great story. that must have been the PERFECT DAY. you get this thing that youve always hoped to have again, and the day youre driving it you just happen to turn on the old radio and it works and your old favorite song just happens to be on!!! pretty awesome if you ask me. youll certainly dig up many childhood memories driving that thing, and it will have so much more meaning than being "just a car" (of course its not that ANYWAY, its a classic for cripes sakes!) but you know what i mean (i hope blush.gif)

Guest trevor ward

Hey Brian..................,

<span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> happen to know what is in Daves near future as far

as vehicles are concerned... laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

What's it worth to ya...????? wink.gifwink.gif

Trevor......... '64 Le Sabre.......

• 5 years later...
Guest GPaustian

Hi. I am also from Baker Oregon. My first job was working for Gert and Erna in their furniture store. I later worked for Gert's brothers Bert and Hans in their store.

I graduated from HS in 1980, and throughout my high school years, I worked for them. When I worked for Bert and Hans, Hans always traveled to the out of town high school basketball games. Sometimes we took the store delivery truck if there were deliveries to be made. And, sometimes, Hans and I would walk over to the Buick garage, pick up that car, and take it.

I always loved when Hans would take the Buick. This was in the late 70's, and I remember the car still had the plastic bubble seat covers on the seats, and it seems like they were not even discolored. At that time, I thought the car was is such pristine condition.

Anyway, I was just surfing the internet and happened to Google Gert's name, and stumbled upon your post. I have often wondered what had happened to that old car that Hans sometimes took me to basketball games in. I would have loved to owned it myself.

I'm really glad I stumbled across your post. It is a great story, and it brought back fond memories. Like Gert, I too am glad it ended up in the hands of someone from Baker.

Thanks for the great story and the great chance to reflect back to some of the best days of my life.

Gary Paustian

p.s. Let me know if you are ever gonna get rid of it.

Gary, I was most surprised to see that this old topic has been revived after a few years of inactivity. I continue to enjoy the '59 Buick very much, and have uncovered additional information about the car's history since first initiating this topic.

I learned about a year-and-a-half ago that the Baker Garage has maintained records of all of its new car sales since the mid-1930's, and Glen Daugherty faxed over a complete listing of all forty-five 1959 Buicks delivered by the dealership. From this information, I was able to learn the factory invoice date for Gerson Neuberger's 1959 Buick. I further learned that the car was sold to Gerson by Dorothy Southard, whose father had founded the dealership and delivered a new 1916 Buick touring car to my grandfather.

I have been able to acquire digital images of Gerson Neuberger, who was photographed with Hans in Portland during the early 1950's. I also have obtained photos of Dorothy Southard inspecting a Buick nailhead engine at a preview showing for dealers back in the 1950's.

Gary, I see that your e-mail address is not listed in your public profile, but I would enjoy very much corresponding with you. Thank you so much for adding to the Buick's history. You may e-mail me directly at brianL@americanconstco.com

Interestingly, my older sister recently attended the class reunion for her class at Baker High (class of '70), and she was approached by one of her classmates, who also shared some memories of the Neubergers and riding in the '59 Buick.

I was in Baker City just a couple of weeks ago, and met with Randy Daugherty to talk about the dealership's history. We talked briefly about celebrating the dealership's 100th anniversary in 2013, and my secret hope is that I'll have a chance to display the '59 Buick on the showroom floor.