Driving me crazy

farnelle

My 89 keeps telling me that ECC has detected an electrical problem and a service check is required. The CRT flashes the message every minute or two accompanied by the lovely chime. It only stays on for a couple of seconds and does not set a code, so I have no idea what it is trying to tell me.

For some reason this moring on my 20 minute drive to work with very little fuel in the tank, the message never flashed. Upon filling the tank the low fuel message still displayed for a couple of minutes. Now the ECC message is flashing up every few minutes.

Does anyone believe that there may be some connection with the fuel sending unit? Also is there a chance that I could plug in a scanner at the ALDL and get a code there that may not set in the computer? This thing is driving me nuts. The car runs fine and if I could eliminate the chime, I would just forget about it until something quite working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ED

when this shows up in an 88 it is in the dash. ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. They might have moved the message to the crt in 89....if they are the same [the problem] is the oil sending unit on the motor....in the 88 you can watch the oil guage top out when you get the message......hope this helps...ken

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when this shows up in an 88 it is in the dash. ELECTRICAL PROBLEM. They might have moved the message to the crt in 89....if they are the same [the problem] is the oil sending unit on the motor....in the 88 you can watch the oil guage top out when you get the message......hope this helps...ken

</div></div>

In both my 90 and my 89, on 1st start in the morning in cold weather only, I get low oil level message. If I immediately shut off engine and restart message is gone. And check of oil always shows proper level. Same sensor? or are you referring to pressure rather than level sender?

Dave

Guest Greg Ross

Two separate senders, the oil level sender is mounted in the front of the Oil Pan. The Oil Pressure Sender is on the back of the engine on top of the Oil Filter Bracket. A bit difficult to get to and remove, it's about 4" tall, 1" and a bit diameter and has the harness plug right on the end. On my S/C engine it had to be remotely located because the Power Steering Pump occupies that piece of territory on the supercharged engine. Had to use the stock oil pressure sender to keep the ECM/ BCM happy.

When you start mixing and matching all sorts of little issues can show up. The Oil Filter Bracket from the 3.8 (pre '91) engine had to be used because of interference with the big nub on the inner end of the drive axle. Probably only a problem with the 5-Spd tranny though, I think the passenger side Axle on an automatic is longer and would not interfere. FWI'sW tongue.gif

Guest wally888

Thought I would try again!

Removed/replaced Oil Press. Sensor in 90, no problem, did from fender side, used small pipe wrench.

Have 91, can't get anything on nut to loosen?

90 has same prob. as refrigman w/ Oil Level Sender. Do I have to drain oil to replace?

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do I have to drain oil to replace? </div></div>

Yes, or it will drain to it's own level anyway! make sure you get the correct "Year" replacement component, there was a change and seems the latter wouldn't work in the '88

The oil pressure sender for the "C" engine has a different calibration than the "L" so are two different parts however they both fit the same opening (1/4" NPT I think). Do not need to drain oil if you swap reasonably quickly (will seep).

I use a special oil pressure sender socket to R&R but have replaced with a relatively small set of "water pump" pliers. Just screws in and out but the thread is tapered so if someone in the past played Godzilla...

Is another device that just needs to be seated firmly, about like a spark plug. I generaly add a turn of teflon tape just to be sure.

Are somewhat notorious for inaccuracy, even GM says when in doubt check with a mechanical guage. I have one sensor that an internal seal failed and it pumped all of the oil out through the connector in about 20 miles so keep an eye on it if changed recently.