Help make my 300 run strong, looking for suggestions and hints

Buying a '67 Skylark 2 dr. hdtp. with a 300 in it. I would like it to run fairly strong. Not for all out race purposes, but more street oriented. I know there are cams available, and was thinking about an HEI distributor, possible turbo/s and a 200r4 tranny. I know there are some of you out there that have had experience with these engines. Please give me some insight as to what is the best way to pursue my goal. Thanks in advance, Dave.

jmhenneman@frontier.net

Guest John Chapman

Dave,

Search this site on '300' and you'll turn up some great discussions.

Also, try: http://www.v8buick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

You didn't say which version of the 300... Stock would be a two barrel engine. Reasonable performance enhancements are:

Install the four barrel manifold and a Carter AFB/Edlebrock Performer (500 to 600 CFM with electric choke). The manifold is a '65 only item for the 300, but they do show up with regularity. Unless you want to change out the heads, don't opt for the '64 aluminum four barrel set up. Donor cars are '65 Special/Skylark/LeSabre

Mild cam. Postons, T/A, Crower, etc have nice choices

Dual exhaust. The stock headers flow pretty well, but you can find headers if you look. Postons, again.

HEI... Daves Small Body HEI is an alternative to the later V8 swap. Dave converts the stock distributor to HEI using over the counter parts.

Porting and matching of the intake/exhaust and polishing the heads are worthwhile, too. See the V8Buick site for a discussion.

200R4 is a bolt-in upgrade....

JMC

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_ponch

Hi Dave, I've got a 4 Barrel 300 in my 65 Skylark. It has a Poston 110A cam and a 600 CFM Edelbrock carb. Thats all the aftermarket stuff I put on it.What I did Myself was port and polish the heads,Intake and exaust manifolds. I also blocked off the exaust crossover from the heads to the intake,runs a lot cooler. I never tried my hand at porting before, but they turned out really nice.When I ported the exaust manifolds, I ground out as much metal as I could.I also had to port match them with the enlarged exaust port.I took some pictures of a cross sectioned 300 head and put them on V8Buick.com if you are interested.I also picked up a few pair of 340 heads and plan on porting them out over the winter.There are 4 brrl. intakes out there if you take your time to look.It will make a big difference!! My little ole 300 really moves! Good Luck and have fun,,,PONCH cool.gif