1922 DB Gear Box problems

Toeout

Hello,

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

I have a 1922 DB Tourer with a very noisy gearbox and on inspection the 1st & 2nd gears are badly pitted, does anyone make new replacement items?

Also, what is the best method of replacing the original frt & rear cork oil seal, does any company make replacement parts for using lip seals?

Thanks

Guest Dave Wilburn

My 24 Touring had a similar problem, so we thought. We bought new gears, at considerable expense, about 250 dollars for custom new gears. We put them in and guess what, it sounds the same. So I have a set of original 1 & 2 gears (with no pitting, just minimal wear) that I would be willing to sell or trade if you need them. Only problem is I'm in Iraq and won't be home until the end of January.

Guest imported_RAH

Hello,

This is to both of you. First, make sure you are using the correct lube in the tranny. The spec's of the original lube are two parts 600wt 'steam cylinder oil' mixed with one part 'medium grease'. Bear in mind the drop spec for oil was adjusted quite a few years ago such that the 600 wt they refer to would be more like 1200 wt track lube today. The concoction is such that a screwdriver will stand upright in it for a while. The reason for such dense material is the unique design of the tranny in that when it is in high gear the countershaft assy. is physically disconnected and the lube must be of such viscosity as to impart motion to same or downshifting will be nearly impossible. Second, while the tranny is disassembled I would recommend replacing both bearings with 'sealed units'. The front is Timkin 207-2RS the rear is 308-2RS. Third, if the noise in obvious in low and second but quiet in high it may be the pilot bushing in the aft end of the input shaft where the output shaft connects. This is a 'blind bushing' and is a pain to replace without the assistance of a machine shop. This junction spins in all but high gear where these two shafts are connected. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Roger,

Many thanks for info from both of you, the transmission was filled with some sort of black moly grease! I was going to replace the bearings with sealed items, do you think that will be sufficant to stop migration of the trans oil or should the cork/felt seals be replaced as well?

The blind bush is not the best fit so I will replace that as well.

Many thanks for your help Roger

Regards

Toeout

Eire

Guest Dave Wilburn

Roger,

Can I mix modern gear oil and grease to the thickness of cold honey/syrup to approximate your recipe above without having to find "steam cylinder oil"? I guess my point is - can I mix up a concoction from what I can find at a local auto parts store? Also how much does my tranny hold? My manual talks about 2 different transmissions and they seem to have greatly differing capacities. My transmision has a cover plate on the drivers side and the oil level is at the middle bolt holes. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Dave

Guest imported_RAH

As I understand the 'concoction' mentioned is correct for all the trannies up to the late '26 SAE with 'standard' shift pattern. There have been several 'brothers' who in the DBC NEWS have different suggestions for the source of lube. I presume this would vary depending on the locale. Some have used a Standard Oil product others suggest a SHELL product. I cannot recommend one over the other. As to the medium grease I have used a lithium based chassis lube. Suffice it to say the 600 wt. they sell in autoparts stores and at the Model A Ford booth at swap meets is WAY too light. The manual you refer to stated fill to about 1" below the main shaft or the top bolt of the side bolts on that reverse idler on the side of the tranny. Not the very top bolt, but the first one down on either side. By the way the same 'concoction' is used in the differential. The reference to two different sizes of trannies, if you will look at the serial numbers, refer to the very late '28 fast 4 or standard 6 (after A-875,000)as the smaller one. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley