Gas Tank Venting

Alan Faircloth

I have a buddy whose 67 Skylark with 455. Recently, after driving the car, he noticed gas seeping/dripping/whatever from under the rear bumper. He had about 1/2 tank full. He opened the cap and hear the whooosh of pressurized vapors. The cap is a non vented cap. Its my understanding that the 67 cars vented the gas tank via 2 rubber lines that basically just dangled from the rear of the tank and were held in place by a couple of press down tabs. He said gas was not coming out of the fill spout where the gas cap was. I suspect it came out of the vent tubes. Is this because the other is clogged or something? He wants to drive the car, but not if it is going to pour gas when he stops. Any suggestions on cause/fix?<P>Thanks,<P>Alan

Check the venting system and replace rubber hoses if needed. After 35 years it's probably not a bad idea anyway. Also check the return line if it has one.<P>What was the weather? If the car had winter blend gas in the tank and it was a hot day, that could cause pressure buildup since winter blend is more volatile for easier cold weather starting.