Should I use old parts in rebuilding straight eight?

Charles2

I am overhauling the engine in my 1940 Special. I have disassembled it and have inspected the parts. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time the block has been apart. I want to have a reasonably reliable engine when I'm done but would like to save money where possible. To this end, I am seeking opinions on several issues. First, the cylinder walls have about 0.006" of taper but are otherwise clean and the pistons are not badly worn. Can I get reasonable service if I deglaze the cylinders and just install new rings? Second, the cam has about 0.009" variance in lobe height across all of the lobes. The cam circle is consistent on all lobes. And, the lifters have about 0.002" of dish on the cam follower surface. I have kept the lifters identified with their "home" lobe. What about using the old parts as is? Alternatively, can I have the lifters refaced and use them with a reground cam? Or, should I replace the lifters to use with a reground cam (at about $16 each). If I go with the used parts, I can save about $700+ but at what risk? I would like to hear from anyone with experience in this either positive or negative. Thanks.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

When ever I've tried to reuse parts it always came back to get me in the worst way! Then you have to buy more of the other things that you can't reuse, like gaskets, etc. so you end up spending twice what you would have in the first place.

Just a thought,

Jaybird

I would just re-ring it and go. With today's modern lubricants you will probably be good for another 100,000 miles (how long will that take?)

If this engine was disassembled in the '40's or '50's by the Buick dealer or any other mechanic that is what they would do, if the the pistons skirts and grooves are in good shape.

I did one engine that had 0.015-0.20 wear and had to have the upper ring grooves shimmed and other than a little noise it lasted 50,000 miles (it failed from other causes...the rings were intact and cylinders still had the hone marks.

Willie

I am also of the "old " school. There are so many good lubricants out today that I would rering it, pull enough shims to get the bearings to .002, and put it back together. Most GM dealers stock (or can get) a product called "engine oil supplement (EOS) .If you use this as an assembly lube,your engine will probably run as long as you will.

With cylinder wall taper of .006" and no scoring you shouldn't have a problem with just putting rings in. Anything more than .012" of taper and you really should bore engine. Don' forget to check the ring lands.

Definitely put a new chain in, they're cheap. How do the sprockets look?