Soft Braking

kenmatthews

Well now that my car sat for 1 yr+ I've been going through and checking everything that needs attention. The brake system seems to be more mushy now than before.

I've inspected each rotor and the brake shoes themselves look good. I also didn't see any signs of worn/rotting brake line that connect to steel lines.

I plan on bleeding the brake lines in the next few days. Is there anything else I should give some attention to? Do I need any special tools if I decide to change/rebuild the wheel cylinders?

Thanks guys.

Hey Ken

You know that I am good at spending your money, but no matter how good a car runs, stopping is more important! If the brakes are that bad, I would not drive it around the block. If they have not been restored change all of the

wheel cylinders, the master cylinder and all of the brake hoses and the shoes if worn or contaminated with brake fluid or oil. If the car spent any of it's life on salted roads then consider replacing the steel lines as well.

Don't rebuild the wheel cylinders or master cylinder....you will have to do it again in a year and maybe contaminate the brake shoes. You can buy lifetime guaranteed cylinders from NAPA; or more pricey alternative, buy a kit from Kanter or have the cylinders resleeved.

Willie