57 Olds prices

Twitch

Hi guys- I have a couple observations about classic prices I'd like to cut loose with. Back in the day- actually 1965/66- I had a 57 98 4 door HT that was previously owned by a local Olds dealer and had every factory option possible except the J-2. As we all know, we let things go and wish we had them later and such was the case with this car.

I'm a cancer survivor and one of the things that helped me from dwelling on it was cruising the web and finding pics of all sorts of hot rods and classics but 57s Olds in particular for my screensaver.

So I figured I'd begin looking for a something like about a #3 quality Olds. My first observation on older collectable cars is that Ebay sucks big time! That whole danged scene is full of people that either bid way too much on vehicles or insult the owners with ridiculously low bids on nice cars.

Then there are the sellers that are trying to sell cars like 88s for 98 prices all conditions equal. The 98 2dr HTs in the #2 #3 range are going for comvertable prices! People finish bidding to a price that is reasonable for the car and condittion value and never even hit the reserve!

Thud.gif

I live in So. California and everything is overpriced here in collectable cars. Most #2 and #3s are priced like #1s. There are few real #1s but people that have poured money into a car feel justified to try to get their money back if possible regardless of going market prices.

I'm seeing some #3 bordering on #4 4dr 1957 88s and Super 88s, both HTs and sedans, now being priced like #2 98 2dr HTs! Hey these are not 57 Bel Air HTs with factory fuel injection but people are starting to price them so.

I've seen it on other cars too so the trend is not exclusive to Olds. In the 1980s you may not know that the upper class fine/rare/exotic auto owners artificially boosted prices on their cars. How? They put them in auctions with impossibly high reserves and bidding went sky high but it wasn't enough of course. The owners then went to their insurance companies with documented bidding amounts and elevated their cars' bogus values to the freakin stratosphere. I'm talking the stuff that went from like $75k to $2-300k in a little while.

Anyhow I feel better telling everybody. And watch out on Ebay. Bang-Head.gif

You need to remeber that ebay concentrates interest very well. How many buyers at a swapmeet or local auto trader are looking for a 57 olds? How many people on ebay are looking for 57 olds? Kinda like there clock tv add except its a ton of people looking for the same clock and one guy selling it instead of how they represent it. Generaly accepted prices mean nothing to people who are not part of the group who comes up with #1's, etc.. Ebay is for selling not buying if you can help it $$

good luck with the leg work