40-42 Packard Air Condioner, & Convertible doors

Joe Block

I would not hold out hope of finding an orig. '40 thru '42 air conditioning system. If you want to have something that LOOKS original, the original manufacturer, (Babcock something or other) is, I heard someone say, still in business. It might be possible for you to buy one of those funny looking piston-type compressors they used on that system. You'll need to add a much more competent radiator, and have a condensor made to fit the unusual shape of the narrow Packard grill. As for the evaporator, several of the modern "add on" air conditioning companies offer a truck mounted unit. If you worked at it, I bet you could come up with an installation that would fool most so called Packard "experts" - about the only think I can think of that would be the devil to make, would be the script that goes on the fenders just below the side mounts that says "air conditioned".

If you go into the Classic Car Club Of America section, and check the index for "posts" there, you will find some comments on air conditioning classic-era cars with modern off-the-shelf components. Good luck.

[color:"blue"]BluePackard

Thanks for the ideas, i ran accross a 12 volt system that looked good in the trunk when i worked in Australia. It was a nice install in a 38 Super-8. The oversea's guys are lucky as all the export packards were 12 volts.

Lost the hard drive and my pictures unforunately.,