1924 dodge brakes

crashley

Hello Ashley--

A well maintained car and common sense should prevent your becoming CRASHley on the road. I have a 24 DB coupe, which probably weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the touring model, and I drive regularly in traffic, both in the city and the country. The '24 Dodge Brothers, unfortunately, does not have front brakes, but the rear brakes are good-sized and do a reasonably good job of stopping the vehicle, providing you drive at 1920's speeds and use common sense in anticipating stops, especially on descending grades. On the open road, I like to cruise at 40-45 miles (not kilometers)per hour. Fifty mph is FAST, but possible, if the car is in excellent shape and you drive defensively, maintain a good distance from the car ahead, and slow down well in advance of intersections. Operating these cars is much different from operating a modern vehicle, and practice is necessary before taking them into modern traffic. Cars that pass our antiques on the road and then quickly cut back in front of us are a perpetual nuisance and danger. If you intend to drive the '24 DB, make sure you have good brake drums and linings that are not compromised by leaking grease or poor adjustment. Adjust the brakes according to the operator's manual and test them before you hit the road, and you should be fine. Bottom line advice: I say, Go for it! You'll enjoy the excitement of a trip into the automotive past.

dbbob

I have yet to be able to get over 45 with my car. 30 MPH is much more comfortable, but then my car is totally original with no balancing, etc having ever been done to the engine. Stopping is usually no problem with the brake pedal but keep the emergency lever clear. You will certainly need the assistance of the extra braking from time to time. I can skid my rear tires using both pedal and emergency together.

Happy motoring.