What do you think of these problems???

1992ToronadoGuy

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and have noticed some strange things with my 92 Riviera.

First one just started today. When I'm starting the car, I notice a clanking sound when it is turning over. It happens whether the motor is hot or cold. I cant tell where it comes from, other than the engine compartment. Is there a problem?

Second problem is that the car is intermitently smokey. When I was figuring out what the heck was chattering when I start it, I noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. It usually doesent smoke at all, but for some reason today it did. There was also some water coming out of the tailpipe ( also unusual. ) Then to confuse me more, I shut it off and started it again, ten minutes later, and it didn't smoke at all and no water???

Motor was warm both times, the fan was running, and temp was at around 200*.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred.

I concur with the conjecture about the harmonic balancer being the noise at low speed. You can feel the front of it pretty easily and the rubber on the face of it should be completely smooth. If you feel cracks or chunks missing it is time to replace it. It is unfortunately not uncommon and tends to make noise only at lower speed and when stressed like turning the steering while stationary.

The head gasket is as straightforward as any engine, plus the short V6 head makes it a little lighter than a V8. This engine uses torque-to-yield bolts and they should be replaced when doing the change. One other item I would recommend is to get the GM factory head gaskets. Fel-Pro makes fine gaskets for everything else, but the head gaskets have too large a bore for the cylinder and you will lose compression ratio. You can buy a Fel-Pro intake set and the factory headgaskets, and the new bolts are available as a set from any good parts jobber. Just drain the coolant, but expect to get a little down the cylinders when the heads are pulled. Dry them as best you can and change oil as soon as you can after the head is reinstalled and the engine checked for leaks.

• 2 months later...

It seems the clanking problem is getting much worse with time.

Now, when I put it in reverse, it clanks and vibrates VIOLENTLY ( can feel it through the wheel ), for a few seconds. Also, everytime I brake even softly or turn lightly, it clanks too, sometimes so violently that the revs drop, and the motor almost dies.

I've been told harmonic balancer ( although ii appears good ), or steering rack/ mounts.

Anyway, my question is, could a steering rack possibly cause all these problems???

My gut feeling is that it is something attached to the motor, from the way it sounds ( kinda matches the motors vibrations ).

Anyway, keep the input coming, guys, I appreciate it.

Is the coolent disapearing????

If it is Please check the oil!!!! If it is a light brown, over filled or foaming at all please stop driving it. If the coolent is getting into a cyl it will fill the block with coolent and burn out bearings in no time. I work in a small auto repair shop now and we have replaced 4 motors since I started with simmaler problems as you are having. (3.4 liters, Theres are the intake gasket) One got so bad it was banging at low idel and sometimes it hydrolocked a cyl causing it to stumble and die. I hope this isn't your problem. From what I have seen unless a head gasket is fixed soon after you notice there is a problem a new engin is usualy the only fix. If you catch it soon enough though, cleaning with deasel fuel and running for a while with trans fluid usualy does the job.(Yes I know deasel fuel isn't a cleaner but it works) Good luck.

Guest imported_barra

My '89 Reatta had a "shock absorber"( it may have a more correct name but that is what it basically did) attached to the motor as a dampener. It was replaced for approximately $115 by a local garage. The repair stopped some underhood noise. It may not be your answer, but it is one more place to look.