new guy

budDynabuick

I all. I have been reading the site for a while now & enjoy it very much! in 1965 my uncle purchased a 1965 special delux with 11,000 on it. he owned the car till 1988. My dad purchased the car in 88 with 70,000 on it. last year my dad gave the car to me with 74,000 on it. my dad lives in N.C. while I reside in MI. i recently returned to mi with car in-tow (i am now a bona-fide BUICK GUY!!! the car is a well taken care of original with nothing missing. since i have been in auto-body for 25 yr the cosmetic resto of car will be no problem. while i am mech inclined, i am not a mech so i will have more than a few questions for you learned buick folk. while de-greasing engine compartment i decided the freez-plugs needed to be replaced. my first ? is- do i have to remove the trans (torq-converter? can i remove torq-converter by itsself?)in order to change the back freeze-plugs in this (215ci) engine? the car runs & drives (forward) great but will not go in reverse. Mr. Crisp (thanx again for your help) was of the oppinion that this problem is the coast clutch. since the freeze plugs leak i could not drive the car long enough to reach normal operating temp, i could not get a proper fluid reading. upon draining trans, i got 1.5 qts. from the pan. how much should be in the pan? how much in the torq converter? also, while the car goes great in forward, upon engagng reverse, it not only will not go in reverse, it wants to move forward! could low fluid be the cause of this problem? the screen was somewhat dirty while the pan had what seemed to be a minimal amount of build-up in it. any answers/thoughts/tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. you all sound like a great bunch of folks!!!

Keith (who cant wait to tool down the road in his vintage buick)

Welcome. I obtained my 65 Buick Skylark from my grandparents in 1974 have kept it in great condition all this time. Enjoy her!! Sorry I can't help on these specific questions but I am sure in the future I can help with others. Good luck and happy motoring.

Guest imported_NikeAjax

It sounds like you're in great shape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The old trannys won't budge in reverse when they're low.

First service the tranny: pull the pan, clean it, then, clean the filter. A tranny sealer should be put in to soften the seals up again. Oh yeah, drain the torque converter if you can.

Pull the plugs and dig around in the hole with your finger or a piece of wire; you may find lots of sludge, it may be VERY hard. Dig it out and spray it out with a garden hose. After this, put the plugs in, then flush it out. Don't worry about the rear plug yet, it may not even be leaking.

Hope this helps,

Jaybird

I just noticed that you refered to the motor as a 215 c.i. In 1965 Specials. Skylarks the motors were a 300 C.I The 215 is a lot different motor from the 300

Make sure of the motor you have in the car before ordering any parts. If you don't have one , get a shop manual.

Good luck

JIm Schilf

palbuick

Guest John Chapman

Keith,

As posted above, if you've got the original V8 in the car, it is a 300 cubic inch motor. Air cleaner should read Wildcat 310 or 345 (2 bbl or 4bbl). The engine is also all cast iron, whereas the ('61-'63) 215 is aluminum V8 and the '64 300 has aluminum heads and intake.

The trans is a Super Turbine 300; a two speed auto with a variable stator pitch torque converter. Note that there are no commonalities with the Chevy Powerglide. You'll find versions of the ST300 used in Olds and Pontiac models. They're known as the Jetaway and the TempestTorque.

If you do a search on the BCA site on '300' and 'ST300' you'll get lots of hits that are sure to give you more info.

Also, check out the small block forums at www.v8buick.com and www.buickstreet.com. There is a lot of specific model information at www.buicks.net and a running discussion forum on performance at www.buickperformance.com

The final comment is to invest in a set of shop manuals. This year had three that are necessary: Chassis Manual (Special and Skylark; Series 4300 and 4400); the Body Manual ('65 is for all makes/models but has a brand-specific cover); and a parts manual ('65 all Buick). These are all frequently on eBay, or you can get one from a vendor as an original, a repo or on CD ROM.

Welcome to Buicks!

Cheers,

JMC

Bud,

The 63 with 215 used a special transmission called the Dual Path. Go onto www.buickclub.org and look under non-affiliated clubs. The Buick Compact Club specializes in the 61-63 Specials and Skylarks. Bruce Andren in Tustin California has owned quite a few of them, including a 62 since new. He can put you in touch with some people who know those trannys and their foibles.

I second John Chapman's comment about shop manuals. Before doing anything major check the procedure in the shop manual. My understanding is that parts for the 215 Aluminum engine and especially the tranny are getting somewhat hard to find. The Dual Path was only used for 61--63 and only in the Special/Skylark; Olds F-85/Cutlass, possibly Tempest but maybe not because the Tempest had that weird rear mount transmission in 61--63.

Good luck,

Guest John Chapman

I can't speak to the DualPath transmission.... but the 215 was in production up until two years ago. GM/Buick sold the design to Rover in '65. It has seen service in the Rover/Land Rover vehicles and was enlarged and improved. Many of the parts will interchange... Fuel injection, anyone? For a starting place in looking for 215 parts, try www.aluminumv8.com

Many of the 300/340 and some 350 parts will fit this motor, also. If you do some Google work, you'll also find a very active Rover/Buick V8 performance community in Australia/New Zealand. Oh, yeah... check out the Olds community, they used the little motor in the F-85/Cutlass, including a really cool turbo charged version.

Cheers,

JMC

Guest imported_NikeAjax

I've wanted a '61-62 Special for a long time now, they're so damned cute! If I get one, am I going to have to pay through the nose for parts? Are the parts harder to find than those of the '56 cars, yes? Is the Olds F-85 any better, worse, same?

Thanks,

Jaybird