sputtering 3800

dav

HI just got here ..have problem with 92 olds delta 88.. 3800..car has 165000 on it runs perfect and believe it or not on highway I get 28 --29 mpg... started up today and it sputters and shakes in drive.. moves like on 3 cyl. ..put in neutral and engine revs up fine shakes at idle in neutral and drive ..where do I start ..thanks

do you know if fuel pump is in tank

It is.

I'm lost on EFI cars, and work for a GM dealership! I would suggest paying the diagnostic fee which is normally one hour labor. That will be cheaper than throwing a bunch of parts at the problem, hit or miss and maybe still not finding the problem. Sometimes it's really simply stuff but it could cost you a couple of hundred bucks trying to solve it yourself not to mention time involved.

That is best advise. Sounds like low fuel pressure. I had this symptom on my 91 Regal last year, same engine L27-L Tuned Port 3800. I had internally rusted fuel lines that broke up and clogged the pressure regulator. Thats how I discovered it. I pulled the snap ring on the presure reg and took it out and it was chalk full. You need to depressurize the system first. Find the fuel pump fuse or relay and pull it out. Start and run engine till it dies. My injectors and rails were pluged as well. You DONT need to send injectors out to be cleaned or buy new ones.

Do you do your own work ? Let me know if this is the problem after they diagnose it. I'll try to remember to come back, I dont stop in much anymore, dont know why ? Guess because Im not currently working on my Older Olds. Im just working on my old Olds cool.gif

coil pac and module ..they said the key was the fact that in gear it sputtered but in neutral it would rev up fine ..no load when not in gear..running fine again ..can't believe the gas mileage this car gets grin.gif