1989 Turbo

tstreet

I need a little help. My car has 35000 miles on it. It seems to run fine. The question I have is there is a fairly loud clacking sound and it seems to eminate from the timing belt area. It only clacks while idling. If I rev it up 1500 rpms or so or when I am driving it I don't hear this noise. It is a noise like a loose end of something is striking the timing belt cover but it looks like it would increase as I increased rpms. It seems I read that the clanking is normal for the 2.2 turbo. Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

I'll guess you have the 8 valve 4 cyl engine. If the timing belt has never been replaced, it should be done for age reasons. Usually the head gasket goes at 60,000 miles before the belt so both are replaced at the same time. The cover is held by the 2 valve cover bolts on the top and one on the bottom. You have to take the right wheel off to get to the bottom bolt. If it is the original belt, I would just have it replaced. It is going to go whether or not that is the noise now. The mechanic can check the other pulleys and belts at the same time. Post where you live and see if the members know a GOOD mechanic near you.