Early Remy distributor applications

Andy Ott

Does anyone know of a source for application data for Remy distributors? I have a few early ones I have bought thinking they would fit my 1917 Studebaker, and they don't. I would now like to get them into the hands of people who could use them, but don't know what they are correct for. I also need to know what is/are the right Remy distributors for 1916 - 1917 Studebaker. I can't find a listing of what cars take what distributors - and the reverse - anywhere.

Please respond to white8042@aol.com

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Two things, can you list the Remy numbers you have for us to look at and then what model 1916 Studebaker do you have, ER Big 6 or? They made several different 6's those years, I have some Gilfillan books that go back to early teens and I can look up your distributor number by model. Stude8

I looked into my supplier catalogs and see it is going to be tough to find the exact listing for your 1916 application. Most catalogs I have only go back as far as 1921 and at that early time they did not list distributor numbers like later versions.

So I thought about another way, I have a 1916 Studebaker Parts List for series 16 - 17 - 18 models. Believe it or not they do not list a vendor name for the distibutor shown. Page 24 lists Studebaker part number 19980 for Distributor Assembled with gear @$19.00 fits all 6's 16-17-18 series.

I attach a scan of Pg 99 that illustrates the distributor. It appears to be the type with knurled collets that hold the secondary wires onto pointed spikes molded into the cap. This looks similar to the system of Delco-Remy # 16297 that was used on later Davis, Moon, Nash and Oldsmobile cars of 1925 but you can't judge the diameter and keying where it attaches to the distributor body.

I have some notes that say 1917 Studebaker Six distributor number was Remy #109C-F and it used Gilfillan cap #RR-31, my files show I have two of those caps on hand, I can't confirm the OEM part number of those caps right now.

Stude8