Fluid found in Vacuum Advance??

Guest Teamsterdug

Guest Teamsterdug

I had my distributor (1966 Buick 340c.i.) laying on the workbench today while installing Petronix upgrades within it. I noticed a few drops of some red fluid which appears to be transmission fluid that had dripped onto the bench. After a bit of investigation I found that it had dripped out of my vacuum advance. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THAT COULD HAVE GOTTEN IN THERE! The hose, of course, goes from the vacuum advance to the base of the Carter AFB carb. I've had the car for about 3 years. It is a very low mileage car. Could someone had purposely placed some kind of lube inside of it? If so...why? How could it have possibly got in there otherwise? So confused. confused.gif

What you are seeing is just the common condensed gasoline vapors that are pulled into the advance when the engine is shut down. It is only a small amount each time the engine is run, but it will accumulate over time. Ever notice the same red color around a carb base that has a very small leak? Just drain it out and don't worry about it.....

Guest Teamsterdug

Jay, This makes sense too. Feel like giving me any suggestions on how to check the diaphram in the modulator? It has the 400 automatic transmission. Is this something that would be easy to spot or do I need a vacuum tester to use on it? I know! I know! Go ahead and say it... "Its in the book dummy!"

Thanks for the input.

One way to check it is with a mightyvac if you have one handy.

If the modulator is bad you should be having some hard shifts and maybe seeing smoke from the tailpipe along with transmission fluid loss.

Guest Teamsterdug

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. It should be easy enough to find out if the modulator is the problem. I really liked the suggestion to use a clear line on the modulator! Sometimes the most affective solutions are so-o-o-o simple. I never would have thought of that.