1939 mopar 6 cylinder

Joe Werner

Guest De Soto Frank

In a word, "yes" ! smile.gif

The very first "Chrysler", model B-70, in 1924, had a six cylinder flathead engine; seven main bearings, 201 cid. Open models were capable of 70 mph.

Chrysler's engineering "trinity" : Fred Zeder, Carl Breer, and Owen Skelton ("the Three Musketeers") also insisted that their engines be capable of sustaining peak output for a minimum of 50 continuous hours on the test bench...

In 1934-'35, all Chrysler Corp cars ( Chrysler, De Soto, Dodge, Plymouth) recieved "new" engines; Dodge and Plymouth shared the same "small" block ( 23 inches long ), while De Soto and the Chrysler six shared the same "big" block ( 25 inches long ). The only Chrysler products with a eight (straight 8) were the Imperial, Airflow, New Yorker, and Saratoga.

The Dodge & Plymouth used the same flathead six (with minor increases in bore & stroke) until 1959 (a 25-year run). De Soto & Chrysler used their sixes through 1954, after which both marques went "V-8 only"...

The Chrysler flathead six was a compact, powerful, durable engine. Most taxicabs from the '30s through the '50s were De Soto, Dodge, and Plymouth. During WWII, Chrysler engineers developed a new engine for the Sherman tank (replacing a radial aircraft engine!) - the Chrysler tank engine consisted of five (5) of their 241 cid Chrysler sixes ganged together, creating a thirty-cylinder monster, which won a great reputation for its reliability.

In 1941 (year of my De Soto), the only cars with a more powerful engine (105 hp @ 3,600 rpm) were: Chrysler, big Buick (8), Cadillac (V-8), Lincoln V-12, and Packard (8). (This is from data collected from period MoToR's manuals).

By the mid-1950's, the L-head design was considered "out-dated", and such engines were phased-out. GM and Ford made their last flatheads in 1954; AMC in the early '60s. Although the last Chrysler Corp cars powered by the flathead six were the '59 Dodge and Plymouth, production of the engine continued into the early 1970's, for industrial use in welders, forklifts, airport "tugs", Massey-Harris combines, and marine applications.

Many Chrysler flatheads are still out there chugging away...it is one of the industry's significant engines, in company of the Ford V-8, Chevy "Stovebolt Six", Packard eight ,etc.

Guest De Soto Frank

Mike,

If we're speaking of the stamped number on the flat boss above the generator, look to the left of that six-digit #: there should be a Letter ( D, P, S, C, or T) followed by another letter or a number; this would be the make and year code of the original application of the engine...

If you find this number, post it, and we'll see what we find...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a 1939 plymouth and a recently bought 1939 dodge, i looked a desoto and a chrysler from the same year how come they all had 6 cylinders? was this a relly good engine? </div></div>

WE (I) wanna seee some pics! of both, of course!

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

If we're speaking of the stamped number on the flat boss above the generator, look to the left of that six-digit #: there should be a Letter ( D, P, S, C, or T) followed by another letter or a number; this would be the make and year code of the original application of the engine...

If you find this number, post it, and we'll see what we find... </div></div>

Frank, we have a problem. The engine block has been frozen in the 50's and my grandfather, whos was using this car those days, repaired the engine block and

engine number was left under the metal plate as you can see...

1938moottori.jpg

More ideas, how to identify than engine number? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

Touch`e, Mike...

Next best thing I can suggest is to measure the legnth of the cylinder head...a 23 inch-long head /cylinder block indicates a Dodge / Plymouth block; a 25 inch-long head /block would be a Chrysler or De Soto engine...

Another clue could be found by removing the "timing plug" from the cylinder head over # 6 cylinder: once the plug is out, drop a long dowel or metal rod down into that hole and let it rest on the piston. Slowly turn the engine over, and measure how much the rod moves from bottom dead center to top dead center: this is the stroke of the engine, and would further narrow down it's origins...

As a side note, I observed from the picture that somewhere along the way, a Rochester "B" carburetor ( Chevrolet) was substituted for the original Carter or Stromberg unit...

That boss is the only place that Chrysler Corp stamped ID markings...perhaps if there's a block casting number (raised numbers), somewhere out there can tell you what you have...

OK, there were these numbers on the same side where the original engine id numbers are:

I can check the lenght. I have it on some paper at home. it was longer than my '39 engine.

This car is very special because finnish body shop had only chassis,fenders,egine+tranny and hood. maybe a firewall also and made the body.

Some rumours say that the chassis was made in England..??

vasen_tarkempi.jpg

chassis number is T60-5205

body K-15-0-LR 754 (this maybe finnish bodynumber??)

I'll get back to you, when I find those measurements.

Hey, are those wheels Truck only-wheels? 6 bolts..?? Never seen like that before..

Oh, I have to atach these pics also .. they are from 1952.. same car, and my grandfather also!

1938sekaautovuonna1952_1.jpg

1938sekaautovuonna1952_2.jpg

Thanks Frank!

Very unusual truck, Mika. The fenders and grill shell appear to be 1938 Dodge truck. The wheels are standard for 3/4 ton and 1 ton Dodge of that era. The cab is not a standard production cab, Dodge had 3 production locations then for domestic trucks, California, Canada and near Detroit, Michigan. They almost certainly shipped bare chassis to export locations for fitting with cab sheet metal to suit local requirement, as your truck was. Note the standard '38s had a one piece flat windshield. The hood on yours looks correct for a 38. The hood ornament on yours is from something else.

The serial numbers you give don't seem to match up with anything I have. I'll try to send you a pic of my 39 truck.

Guest imported_Debby

We have a 1938 Chrysler Royal. On our engine it does not have a letter, it has a number of 679759-1. This is stamped on the very top of the engine. Is it supposed to have a letter on there too. Where do I find the letter?

We need frost plugs for ours. I attached a picture as I can not figure a way to add it here.

If the only thing you're looking for is core plugs, they come in standard sizes (inch, inch and three quarters or what have you) and are available at most parts stores. You smear on some goo and tap them in flush with the side of the casting. Frost is a misnomer as they won't protect against freezing water in the block. Apologizing in advance if you already know this.

Guest imported_Debby

Yes, I knew about the frost plugs but I love hearing ANY help. LOL

I was wondering more if I was looking at the wrong place for the engine number? The one I put down was right on the top of the engine and its raised off the motor. I found a parts list catalog at Hershey for 1938 Chrysler. I was just checking in that trying to look up where it was. I can not find any letter only that number. Since this is a 6 cy I was just wondering if I was looking at the wrong place.

Guest De Soto Frank

Hi Debby,

The raised numbers on top of the cylinder head are what's known as a "Casting number"...casting numbers are part of the "mold" from which a given part is cast, and to some extent can serve to identify said part.

The "official" engine number is a "Stamped" number (the characters are "engraved into" the block), located on the driver's side of the engine block, on a flat "boss" which is about 1/2" high and 3" long. It is found above where the generator is mounted, but below the cylinder head. You will probably have to clean some rust off using 80 or 120 grit sandpaper...

Once the numbers are revealed, you should see a sequence of characters which begins with: "C-18" (the make[ "C"],year & model code[ "18" ]for: Chrysler, Royal, 1938), followed by four or five digits (the individual unit production sequence number: beginning with - 1001 and ending with - 43001 ).

The engine number from a "correct" engine for your car might read thus:

C-18 36724 (just an arbitrary example).

As for your freeze plugs, Chrysler used a "flat" type (actually slightly "dished") which is known as a "welch plug". Better auto stores should carry them, especially those handling a product line called "Dorman" (springs, clips, and other hardware items).

Good luck!

Guest imported_Debby

See I thought I was reading the wrong number. That other number was to easy!!

Thats why I can ask you guys!!! You always seam to know!!

THANKS FRANK!!

My number is C 18 9061

Now I can find stuff for it.

Guest De Soto Frank

Sounds like your car was made fairly early in the production run...engine# 9000 out of 42,000 total...

For your freeze plugs, you just need to clean all the rust out of the hole in the block and measure its diameter, then go and get the appropriate sized plugs; I believe they are "nominally" sized, in increments of 1/16" .

If I get a chance I'll measure the ones in my De Soto today...

Hi Mika

The "K" in your chasis number stands for "Kew" (pronounced "Q").

Chrysler had a factory in England & the comercials were called Kew Fargo/Dodge all loosely based on the U.S. models. All the Kew trucks over here had 25" motors either 218 or 250. The mid 30's Chrysler cars were called "Wimbledons".

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phill!

And thanks for this info!

Hey, Can you tell me anything more? Why there's 6-bolt wheels? Are those in K-models also?

You know, the recent owner just called me and offered me this car! He wants to trade it to newer USA-car. Like late sixties car..

Where could I get some technical bulletins etc?? Copies? let me know! I haven't never heard anything about these K-models! Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I'm new, but I was wondering if my problem was a freeze plug. I have a round hole behind my idle pulley of my timing belt. It isn't threaded, and very hard to get to... I can't even get something to measure the hole with... It is a Chrysler Lebaron 94 model with a 6cy 3.0... it's making me terribly frustrated.

Thanx

Brent