Replacing 5.50 X 18" Tires

RKFrazee

I can't imagine that they would be any different or more difficult to mount than the 4.75X19s on my '31 Chevy. I have mounted several sets of them over the years with nothing more sophisticated than two tire irons, a little diluted liquid Palmolive and a 1" paint brush. The bead usually can be broken by applying a heavy foot, but if the bead is really frozen on, you can use the foot of a bottle jack on the tire at the edge of the rim, and raise the jack under some part of a car, any car.

Besides, the experience will be good for you. smirk.gif The more you do for yourself, the more the car will mean to you and the better you will know your car. smile.gif

hvs

PS: I am 71 years old and changed a set just last year, so it doesn't take a bull to do the job. grin.gif

Guest De Soto Frank

If you have a motorcycle dealer or shop near by, they often have tire irons...I got a pair of inexpensive irons for my bike, and have used them on auto tires too...

These older bias-ply tires are not as tight a fit on the rim as modern rubber; breaking the bead away from the rim is the worst part, particularly when you encounter a tire that's been on the same rim for 60-70 years...

You might also want to get some talcum powder ( a light dusting inside the tire casing helps prevent wrinkling/sticking of the inner tube) and a jug of Ru-Glyde (tire lubricant- for the bead surfaces of the tire); my local jobber has the Ru-Glyde in a gallon jug - you add water to top-off, and it's probably a life-time supply of tire lube; dish soap & a little water works too...

Make sure you have good rim flaps too...

Good luck!

I think the '32 Chevy wheel uses a rim band rather than a rim flap. Two different animals. Coker will have them.

The odds of finding a set of irons at the Central Division flea market probably aren't too good. I haven't seen much of a flea market at any AACA National Meets other than Hershey and Florida in many years. I bought mine at an auto supply store years ago. They aren't all that expensive and last forever. You don't need truck size irons. Mine are no more than 16"-18" long if that.

hvs

Tire irons are a must for demounting, but you need a heavy rubber tire hammer to mount them. If you are going to buy new tires spend the money now for the proper tubes with the correct valve stem. Take the time to align the valve stem on the center of the tire name or logo so they all match. I know the factory never bothered, but they look so much nicer if you use good workmanship installing them. A heavy shipping pad on the garage floor will protect the paint on your wheels. If you do this work yourself it will be on the hottest day of the year, trust me.

Guest De Soto Frank

AND....

On one sidewall of the tire (backside, if a wide-whitewall), there will be a dot of paint that is a "balance" mark...try to line this up with the valve stem...this will make balancing easier.

As for what HVS said about "temperature" when you do this, yes - you will break a sweat! Also. wear your grubbiest work clothes...you'll get pretty filthy !

wink.gif