Series 50 Buick 1932

Guest moodier

Guest moodier

Hi;Can anyone tell me little about these cars?Don't know anything about them but may purchase this one it is really nice dual sidemounts etc 10 year old frame off restore but orignal interior only one small seam out.Owner is fixing a head gsket problem and putting in hardened seat etc for today fuels.

Everything looks good but I haven't used mechanical brakes since my days with the early 30s fords and that was scary!!Car has been in family for over 50 years was there family car in the 50s etc then restored in the 90s then he died and car wasn't ever really used.

Has like new ww tires etc don't know how old they are though.Has sidemount wire wheels and the rear luggage rack all look very good.He says the car can easily travel at moderate highway speeds.Don't like the way the gen-dist-water pump are done but guess not much can do about that design!

Can't even find much as to a price guide for it maybe old car trader has it but don't have the magazine.maybe someone could look.He want $16K for it but probably not bad as really nice looking car.Thanks for any help you can give.

moodier...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

Suggestion:

Click on the "Edit" icon. Insert paragraphs for reading ease. This will generate sincere responses to your sincere question.

We are here to help in the best way we can.

Could you post a photo of the car?

Let us know if you require assistance navigating this Forum.

Regards, Peter J.

Guest moodier

Peter:Thanks for the advice!Question though when I edited it showed paragraphs indented but when it came out they were't.It did break it up into paragraphs though.Must have done something wrong but went back and looked and shows indented on the edit column.Probably does make it easier to read when is broken up into seperate areas.Thanks Bob

I think the 1932 and 1933 Buicks are the nicest looking of all the 30's cars. These years were very bad for the car industry and therefore these cars are rare. If it is a 4 door 5p Sedan, model 57, only 10,803 were made. Of model 57S only 9,766. Of the other models much less were made.

If the car is as good as you describe I think the price is right. I have a model 87 but the engine was in poor shape when I boght it, tyres and cosmetic restauration 30 years old, and it cost me much more. Since I bought my car I have not seen any for sale at a better price.

As wery few of these cars are on the market, price guide's statistics of the walue is often misleading.

Jan

Guest moodier

Hi;

Thanks for the reply!Just trying to find out a little froem the people that know and I know very little about Buicks.Car is very nice dual sidemounts wire wheels etc Was frame off few years ago not used much since.Nice rack on back trying to get a bueatiful trunk he has on another one that should fit this one too.HE has owned it 50+years was the family car in the 40-50s.Don't like the way they do the gen-dist-water pump drive system but guess it worked,or the updraft carb.Guess that is just part of these old cars they say the mech. brakes on them were superior to the old fords I remember that never stopped.Even has theoriginal factory shop manual for it although it is a little dog eared by now.Thanks for the thoughts on it.Bob

Good Morning Bob,

I don't think anyone made a bad looking car in 1932. This Buick sounds like it could give you miles of enjoyment. I sense you may not be real familiar with cars of this vintage. There are a lot of things that are not like today's Buick. The generator/distributor/waterpump drive is neither good nor bad, it is just what they had then and it is part of the allure of the car.

The brakes, if you had driven the car out of the showroom new in '32, would be quite impressive. Compared to today's cars, of course, well, there is no comparison.

You can do repeated panic stops from eighty miles an hour in nearly any standard family car today; in that Buick you have to plan ahead to pull it up once from forty-five. And you need to do quite a bit of adjusting on them to get them to work properly, which they will.

That's the whole point of these old cars, and I don't mean to be preachy. There is an involvement in time, thought and money that does not apply with today's diposable cars. Sure they're quirky and primitive, but on a quiet back road, they are also a magic carpet ride back to another time.