MORE 56 CADILLAC TRAVAILS

jaxops

I have a transmission leak on the 5 o'clock position (aft looking forward) which is on the passenger side. I am told that it is the dipstick tube leaking after it was reinstalled. It may also be the seal. Any words of experience on that out there?

Finally, I have an electrical short. My brake lights don't work after I installed a new stop light switch.

Any assistance would be appreciated

I don't know the details of your car but as my old friend Ted Driscoll used to say, "Know nothing, Fear nothing".

The brake light switch is mounted somewhere where either the pedal movement or hydraulic pressure causes contact with an incoming hot wire and an outgoing (to the lamps) wire. First check to see that there is incoming juice.

I have an old test light, bought years ago and maybe still available, that is a spear connected to a light bulb connected to a wire with an alligator clip on the end. Attach the clip to ground and poke the spear where you think there ought to be a live circuit. If there is, the bulb will glow. You can test the light itself by going across your battery terminals.

In this case, the simplest deal is to go to the brake light switch and check the incoming side for hot. If you have it, push the pedal and check the outgoing connection. If you don't have juice, it's a bad switch. If you do, then go on downstream toward the brake lights, checking with your light at connections and eventually at the light housings themselves.

If yours is a hydraulic switch, they are sometimes not real reliable and you might need another even though it's brand new.

This fault would probably be called an open circuit. A short circuit has voltage going straight to ground and results in blown fuses and/or smoke, fire and a chat with your insurance agent.

If the leak is where the tube enters the case, maybe the tube can be pulled out and either o-ringed or siliconed or both and smartly rammed home.

I'm not one for "fixes in a can", but Trans-X is a good transmission leak stopper. I've used it in my '58 for eight years.

As you add fluid, use the Trans-X, $9 a can and it reacts with the rubber seals and swells the gasket. On these tranny's, there are gallons of fluids sitting on the torch converter gasket when the car sits for long periods.

The brake light short is most likely in the gas filler side.

Check the fuse, then go buy a $3 circuit tester, "screw driver with a bulb in it", and see if you are getting power back to the bulb.

Many thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will try the tester (I have one like that as well)- never fooled with a brake switch before. As you said....fearless, except I get the wife to supervise me on these things. She always has a good head for logical functioning of systems.

I did try a little trans sealer. I didn't want to put too much in. I have to see if the fluid on the deck is from before or if it is still leaking.

Again- I appreciate it. cool.gif