Need bearing#'s or dimensions for 97 3800 blower

KILLER280Z

have a 97 buick riv with the 3800 SC and can't seem to find any specific info on replacement bearing #'s or dimensions for the supercharger. A local company can come up with the parts, but only by #'s

I really don't want to take this thing apart just to see whats inside or buy a junk unit to dismantle.

I would prefer to replace all components possible when I do this and can get most of what I need but these dern bearings are all thats holding me up.

Any info would be good.

Someone has to have done this before!!

At the dealership level, the supercharger is only serviced as a reman assembly--no nose piece or any other part of it is available separately from GM. In other words, GM does not want any tech in the field doing anything that could be done better in a much more controlled environment by people who deal with these things daily--especially if they might be paying the bill for a warranty repair (which this might not be anyway, but that's how they configure parts replacement issues many times). Replacement parts and sub-assemblies are available from aftermarket vendors. Check the www.RegalGS.org or some of the Pontiac Grand Prix boards for much more detailed information on where these sub-assemblies can be obtained. I found a particular website for these items a while back, and think I might still have it saved on my work computer. Seems like the bearings in the nose piece are the most common to fail so that item is available as a bolt-on item.

The first year of supercharged 3800s had a "non-serviceable" nose piece. After that initial year, there are oil ports in the nose piece to change the supercharger oil every 50,000 miles (GM recommendations). The supercharger oil is a GM lube also, mostly stocked by the Pontiac dealers. Any GM dealer can provide you with that part number, which is in the "Standard Parts" section of the GM parts database, in the Special Lubricants section. They can most probably pull up a list of stocking dealers in your area via the "D2D Link" or you can do it via www.partsvoice.com.

I know the nose piece bearings are probably the most common to fail, as that's where the main pressure from the drive belt is first encountered by the shaft. Yet, that front bearing can act as a lever arm to put more force on the other bearings in the housing too. Therefore, you might be better off to change the whole supercharger unit (also available from the aftermarket vendors) than just the front nose piece--in the long run. Putting new bearings on a worn shaft might not be a good idea either. The supercharger might not spin as fast as a turbocharger's impeller, but it still runs quite a bit faster than crankshaft speed.

When I get to work, I'll see if I still have that website saved, but you might do a Google search or searches in the Grand Prix or RegalGS.org sites just in case I deleted it. Seems like somebody was selling "overstock" units a while back too?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The website for the reman units is www.gmusedparts.com. The prices look really good compared to a unit from the dealership. I have not used that company so their mention is NOT an endorsement of any kind, just for information only. They also state a "lifetime warranty" so that should could for something. In any case, be an informed shopper and be sure that what you get fits your specific year of engine, plus any necessary gaskets or other things to complete the job.

The pulley on the nose of the supercharger is a press fit situation. It takes a special puller to get it off. Their lifetime warranty specifically is voided if the aftermarket underdrive supercharger pulley is installed, if that matters in your case.

I somewhat suspect that your wife's comments might change when she puts her foot in the throttle sometime--just my gut suspicion.

Enjoy!

NTX5467