1956 Century Wiper Motor

Jim W

I'm looking for a replacement windshield wiper motor and would like to install an electric one if available for this model. It was suggested that perhaps I could use a Chevy replacement motor....can this be done, or will I have to replace with the vacuum motor? Or, did Buick make an electric replacement? Thanks.

Guest imported_bjr

I have seen 57 Chev electric wiper motors on 54-56 Buicks. I think 57 Pontiac is also the same. Just need a small bracket made to install. Someone at one of the car shows I was at had a kit to do this, but I didn't get his name.

Jim,

I just installed an electric wiper motor this wknd in my 55 Super. Piece of cake since the drive receives the motor and you bolt down 2 screws and you're done with the vacuum hoses. The whole process took about an hour's worth of work. Just make sure to run the positive wire through at least a 10A fuse.

Good luck to ya.

KEN

Guest imported_Bob 55 Special

Installed the Newport Engineering system in my 55 Buick Special. I took it a step farther and got an extra vacuum wiper control switch. I gutted it and added the Newport control unit to it. So now the What looks like the wiper switch is. Not terribly hard. I made an adaptor out of plastic so that the Newport shaft would work with the Vacuum knob.

The tough part on the 55 was squeezing it all up in the dash.

Good Luck

Bob

Hey Bob! Boy are you right! I crawled under the small space and tried to pull out the original vacuum wiper button. For some reason, I see wires hooked up...hmm. On a vacuum operating system, interesting.

Bob, what year switch did you obtain to do that? I'd like to do the same but the setup of my original switch is a full swinging twist instead of clicking into place like the new switch.