Brake and Cold Start Question

farnelle

I have read the many of the old posts about Reatta brake caliper rattle, but I am not sure that I have read anything about a definite fix. I have three 90's and an 89. Two of them have signficant rear caliper rattle and two have no rattle what-so-ever. Will replacing the calipers and pads fix the problem?

My 90 coupe with 48K has a cold start problem. After sitting overnight it can be difficult to start. Sometimes as many as three or four attempts with the starter engaged for several seconds. Once started and for the rest of the day it starts almost instantly like most good 3800 engines. I have tried leaving the key for up to 30 seconds on before attempting to start it thinking that it may have something to do with the pump letting the fuel backdrain into the tank, but nothing I do seems to make any difference. It most definitely seems like a fuel problem, however.

Anyone wanting to weigh in on either or both of these issues, please have at it. It seems as if there is always someone with an answer. Thanks in advance. If anyone has a solution, I will report back after the fix.

Ed

Leaving the key on does not help since the ECM just gives the fuel pump a two second shot though the relay. Then it will not turn on again until the oil pressure comes up. If the relay fails, nothing happens until the oil pressure is there. On short stops when warmed up, a good system will hold enough pressure for the next start.

Check the relay.

My rear brakes do not rattle so do not know how to fix.

Guest imported_Flash

Can't help with the cold start. Have had the caliper rattle off and on for a dozen years. New parts CAN fix it for a while, but mine always comes back. Always the left rear. In my case it has not mattered if I used GM or aftermarket replacement parts or if the local brake guy vs a GM dealer. I have always suspected it was "stack up" tolerencing in the original design. I have not heard of the problem occurring for those that converted to larger brake units.

Guest Greg Ross

Hey Flash, how's it hanging-You know what I meant! the camera! the camera!

Only success I've had with quieting down left rear is by using the foam wrap as found in a '90 rear suspension I picked up in Louisiana. Rebuilt it with new bushings, etc and reused my struts, calipers, wheel bearing/ outer knuckle assemblies.

The calipers on the '90 were seized but I swapped over the foam wraps and it was quite an improvement. Where the Emerg. Brake Cable/ return spring is located, this foam wrap was around the end of the brake cable-Worked for me! :grin

An On-Line acquaintance, Scott Pearson who runs an e-Body Trofeo S/C 5-Spd. told me going to the Raybestos loaded rear caliper worked for him.

Guest wally888

Have owned 2 89's and a 90, never heard brake rattle.

I had all pads replaced on 1 89, GM pads, no rattle.

Guess I have been lucky however there has been much discussion here re. using pads other than the original GM or the newer Durastop. From what I have read all others are a little under sized=rattle?