LaSabre Convertible Parts Interchange

SOTTO

What I discovered when researching my '68 LeSabre convertible might still be operative for the later models, there were two full size GM convertible top mechanisms. One was for the normal B-body cars (i.e., Impala/Caprice, Catalina/Bonneville, Delta88, LeSabre). The other was for the higher level Olds 98, Electra, and Cadillac DeVille models. Longer wheelbases = longer interior lenghts = longer tops, typically.

The weatherstrips that attach to the convertible top can all be common within the respesctive model groups, but the weatherstrips that attach to the doors themselves would most likely be specific to the particular models and years of vehicles. Basically, what attaches to the convertible top and related mechanism could be common between the various carlines, but what attaches to the body of the car itself would most likely, generally speaking, be specific to that carline vehicle.

In the case of the top latches, they might be different between the different car lines, but could have the same architecture and interchange--provided the only difference might be the shape of the handle you move to latch the top.

The best way to research your vehicle would be with some vintage GM parts books. If the Buick parts book has the same part numbers as the similar Chevrolet parts book, then my basic theory of interchangeability could be confirmed. The convertible top vendors might offer "Chevrolet" applications and not offer "Buick" applications, even though they might be the same GM parts, so finessing their offerings when you contact them might be necessary. On my '68, even the casting numbers on the weatherstrips and body mounts match what's in the Chevrolet parts book for a similar Impala model, so there might be more common "stuff" than many of the vendors might be aware of, outside of their "universal fit" items.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

All full size converts '71-'76 shared the same convert parts, by sharing common parts it made it feasable to offer low production converts. Remember '71 and newer converts were not offered on the Olds 98 or Buick 225's, only the smaller Olds 88's and Buick Lesabre/Centurions with the ElDorado the only Cad convert.

Henry