1957 buick questions

jetriggs

I have a 1957 buick special 2 door sedan that I am planning on customizing in the near future. I will be pulling the original 364 and dynaflow witch have only 7200 miles on them, in favor of a 455/th400 combo. I realize this will require changing rearend, crossmember, etc. I have made up my mind that this is what I am doing I am just curious what I am up against. Anyone else made this swap?

Guest John Chapman

Well, just a thought... You're proposing to hack up a 7200 mile original '57 to put a later model Buick engine in?

In the spirit of preservation, it would make sense to me to preserve/restore the low milage Special, and then find a more used up car to modify.

JMC

The entire car only has 72,000 miles. It had been sitting for a while in a garage in Ill. when I bought it. I needs a few things such as bumper ends, gas tank(currently has fuel cell), the car has virtually no rust. I like the body lines of 57 but am not a big fan of the closed driveline set up. The nailhead runs good but I am after a high performace street rod not just a strong driver. I do see your point as I have heard the same thing from the locals that have seen the car, but its just not my bag. Thanks for the reply and I can appreciate a buick lovers point of view.

The sensible thing to do ,if you are determined to change the running gear, is to put the body on another chassis. The 57 ball joint suspension and the brakes will get you killed if you put any real power in the car. I had a 57 Special on a later chassis. and it was really the best way to go! this will give you disc brakes ,a posi rear, and parts that can be bought over the counter. The body mounts for Buicks were not changed for many years , and the body will fit numerous later chassis. Do a little homework, and see what you have available. You will be MUCH happier with the finished product. It will also leave a complete chassis for someone with a 57

What kind of cars and what years will this body just fit right on? And what all does it require. That does sound quite interesting and much easier than making change after change. I would love to know what my options are for swaps. I would gladly sell the 57 chassis to someone who was doing a true resto. I can definately appreciate a stock vintage car, it just does not suit my interests for this particular car. Thanks for the suggestions.

Guest -Otto-

Yes, it is possible to build 455&400 to '57 Buick. My friend has 57stw, he has 455 (bored to 462 or something)on it, and th400, plus rear axle from 80's Chevy STW. It works just fine. I understand that you dont like dynaflow, (I've got in my '57 dynaslow also, and I'm not happy with that) but why are you trying to get rid of nailhead? It's great engine, and parts are not so expensive anymore. You can get there different intakes, 2x4 or 6x2 and that kinda stuff. (Myself, I'm building 3x2 to my nailhead.) Also, you can get transmission adapters for Nailhead/th400-combo. (I've heard)

Btw, those both '57 Buicks mentioned upper this post, are located here in Finland.