How to clean interior parts

91alloptions

I have gotten some great info from this list serve and finally joined as a member. Thanks to all you smart Reatta folks for previous info!!

First post question = I am doing some detailing on my 91 coupe. The carpet retainers (plastic pieces) have some light scuffing that came from shoe dragging. The interior color is tan. Is there some product that works well as a good cleaner that will not do harm to these plastic pieces?? Same question for interior rear panel sections. Also, tips on methods (rag vs. stiff brush, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I want to do good without doing harm!!

I think yout 'carpet retainers' are the door sills. these are best cleaned with a stiff brush, and some cleaner. I use a cleaner purchased at an industrial suppy house that is supposed to(or can be) diluted 50-to-1, and use it straight from a spray bottle. this product has a million different brand names, depending on area, but the clinical name is "degreaser". be sure to already have the surface wet and out of the sun before spraying. this will work well for almost any cleaning, as long as the 'wet surface before spraying' is followed. if there is a lot of embedded dirt in the rear panels, a brush would be a good choice here, too, as long as the vinyl is not dried-up and cracked.

the problem with most store-purchased cleaners is that they are not very strong, and are not much of a bargain. I buy a gallon bottle of the strong stuff, and its $5.99. even with its frequent use here, it still lasts about six months.

as much as I dislike silicone vinyl sprays in the vein of Armour-All, I have found one I like. its made by Meguiar's, and is called Natural Shine. it does not have the high-gloss shine of the other silicone-based products, and looks great both inside the car, and on the tires. I live on six miles of dirt roads, and was absolutely shocked to see dust did not stick to the tires like any other product would have. I think I purchased the Natural Shine at either AutoZone or CSK Auto (Checker/Schuck's/Kragen for those folks here in the west).

it is in a clear red bottle. it is also available online from meguiars.com just put "natural shine" in the product search box on the left of the page.

this product would be a very good follow-up to your interior panel cleaning, bring back the original sheen of the vinyl and plastic panels. just give it a light buffing after it has dried.

Mike

R-dudes

Many thanks for the reply. Just a clarification. I use the term "sill" to mean the black sill plate with the Reatta script logo. In my original post the 'carpet retainers' I refer to are the interior colored plastic pieces that literally go over the cut edge of the carpet and are in two pieces (front and rear sections) held on by metal clips and one screw.

I assume the same cleaning strategy will work.

Thanks again!!

we are definitely talking about the same parts. we folks over here have just been way too immersed in "GM-speak" for too long.

my training was originally in "Chrysler-speak", so I took "GM-speak" originally as a second language. however, now it has certainly become the primary one. after all, who else but GM could come up with words like "escutcheons", and "bezel"? wink.gif

Mike