69 400 water pump snapped bolts

JohnD1956

Okay, I've had enough of these cars that I should know by now, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get those smaller bolts out after they snap off? I tried drilling them and using an easy out, but the easy out snapped off inside one of them. I then had to use a carbide tipped bit and a rotary drill to get the easy out, out, and then I drilled clear through both. I soaked in pb blaster for two days but still no luck. I'm just about ready to drill these as big as the openings on the pump and then put a longer bolt and nut on em. Luckilly they are both on the top side and I could actually do that. But I'm looking for other ideas so as to keep it stock in appearance.

All ideas are appreciated.

Thank you

John D

Guest COMPACTBC

When you put new bolts in I would use stainless steel bolts and lots of anti-sieze on the bolts and threads. That way you won't have this problem again. tongue.gif

The heli-coils are in. It went pretty well, after mounting the old pump so I could use it as a guide, the 17/64 drill bit was so long I had the back of the drill against the condensor core. But after drilling, I even put the tap through the pump into the tabs on the timing chain cover, then the coils went right in. Tomorrow I hope to put it all back together.